Discuss DDA requirements in domestic dwellings. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trick60

Can anyone tell me if the DDA regs for heights of sockets and switches are written in stone or can we write them out as a deviation on a test cert, this is the first time someone has questioned me on it and it stumped me completely.:confused:

Heights of switches and sockets apply to new installations not existing installations for a PIR. Even on a new installation if the customer requires them at a different height and you believe it is safe you can have them at whatever the customer wants. Just cover your back by putting on the cert that the customer required at this height and understands it dose not conform to current regs and will have to change it when selling the house. That's what my lecturer told me when I asked the same question.

I agree with Paul, also of note is that if a dwelling is rewired, there is no requirement to provide the measures described in Approved Document M providing that on completion, the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance with the other parts of schedule 1 to the building regulations.

Ive done it once where the customer wanted low sockets all thankfully in stud walls. I simply pre-wired loops of cable for a socket move to the correct height if needed and noted all of this on the cert.

Not sure it even needs noteing on certs, its building regs not BS7671 and as said, only new builds require it, I always give the customer the option, i prefer them high as i don't have to bend down so far when chasing the boxes out.

All the cert says is Departures,and I tend to not any breeches of the building regs too. Its then all in one place and is pertinant to the installation of the electrical system.....not saying its right/wrong, just tidy and looking out for the next spark on site :eek:

Thanks for all the input guys, just for the record the problem started when after a rewire I was on was first fixed the plumber piped around the walls for the some of the rads and the top pipe went staight over a couple of the sockets, the plumber sceamed DDA and the previously happy client (an ex pipe strangler) sided with the plumber...cue much fingerpointing and shouting, the client seems to have developed a very selective memory as he was previously happy with the original s/o height not wanting them to be intrusive, unfortunately I have nothing in writing. Do you think it might be unproffessional to give the client a bit of a shoeing?

Is every other part of the fixed wiring to the current building regs? what about the consumer unit is that below 1.2m, light switches? if he now wants it all to part M he may need to pay you lots of money to make it all conform, or dose he just want the few items in the plumbers way to be part M and the rest to be left as it is?.

you may find this link of interest, http://www.allerdale.gov.uk/downloads/page878/note15_-_Part_M.pdf
might be worth printing out a couple of copies and giving them to the plumber and owner pointing out para1.

Reply to DDA requirements in domestic dwellings. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net