Discuss Decent source of online 18th edition training? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all

Planning to do the 18th edition online. I could just batter loads of old papers on the head and then have an attempt ( I will do loads of old papers anyway as practice). But, it''s been an age since I did my 17th and I think I would be better off learning how I actually calculate/arrive at the answers in the multiple choices.

Yes... I could go to a college or do a paid course, but I hate them... and swore I would never do it again after my test and inspecting course (which I have totally forgotten). At 55 yrs old, I am just not liking the idea of evening courses.

Any pointers anywhere online? I'll grab the relevant books (site guide etc)

Thanks, Steve

PS... Been a while since I have been in here. WOW, the ads are intrusive now

Well looking into all this further, it looks like the world of electrical training and regulations has gotten far worse than it used to be...

People being binned out of Napit for not having the latest 18th amendment, Solar courses that have to be renewed every 5 years for no apparent reason etc
All the usual stuff to rip-off the sparky.

Wonder why the trades are dying...

Given the considerable changes this industry experiences, don't you think it's reasonable that industry wide schemes would expect members to demonstrate knowledge of the latest edition of the wiring regulations (especially 5 years after its implemetation)?

Well looking into all this further, it looks like the world of electrical training and regulations has gotten far worse than it used to be...

People being binned out of Napit for not having the latest 18th amendment, Solar courses that have to be renewed every 5 years for no apparent reason etc
All the usual stuff to rip-off the sparky.

Wonder why the trades are dying...

Every skilled trade requires people to keep up to date with changes and carry out at least some degree of CPD.

Why do you hate colleges and paid courses?

In response to your original question; the 18th edition exam is more an exercise in demonstrating an ability to navigate BS7671, than knowledge of changes to the regulations. I don't see any point in paying for a course. Try a few online papers and pay to sit the exam.

Because tired of being fleeced to be honest.
In this day and age, if I can do it online cheaper, I will.

The last evening course I did was for test and inspecting and it was a total (expensive) farce. 12 guys of which 2 of us were sparkies.
The rest had NO clue, yet the instructor was obsessed with keeping his 100% pass rate, so he basically answered everyone's multiple choice papers for them.... even mine.
I did loads of revision, but he insisted on checking my exam answers it before I pressed submit.

In the practical tests, some of the guys didn't know how to turn the tester on or what a CPC was. Disgusting.
Decided there and then not to bother with paying over the odds ever again

To answer original question, after a long gap (had 16th edition) I did a Learn Zone Media online course for 18th and they also arranged the exam for me in a local centre.
In a sense, I paid to have someone read pertinent sections of the regs to me in a serious of videos, and access to online quizzes and an exam simulator. It worked for me. I could have done it without it, but following the course was a good discipline to make sure I actually got on with it....There's nothing like parting with money to help focus the mind!

I agree - I have that book too. It was actually my first purchase after passing the 18th and I wished I'd got it sooner.
In particular it bridges the gap between the theory of perfect linear testing and what you find and how you do it in the real world.

Reply to Decent source of online 18th edition training? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net