Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Discussion about Builders... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

Some of you may have noticed posts I have made regarding doing work for builders and signing off other peoples work. It's a NO NO for me, from the start of my career to the end I have promised myself that I will NEVER sign off anybody else's work.

Anyway, a while ago I did some labouring work for a builder (Cheap - not even pocket money). I had just launched my business so things were slow and I needed an income. Builder was very happy, as he should be because I worked like a mule lol. In conversation he promised me that any future electrical work he got he would pass my way... yeah yeah whatever I was thinking whilst smiling and saying thanks.

The other week I get a call saying that he's got a consumer unit that needs changing and can I pop over to take a look? Yeah sure, no worries I'll pop over and take a look when I get a chance. When I get there a few days later I notice "He's" wiring an extension that he has built on the back of the house... I say nothing;) Get asked a couple of questions about how he should install a 3 pole isolator in the toilet and run a switch wire etc lol

I notice 2x 1.5mm legs coming into the extension? "What are the two cables for then "Mate" I asked, "well, that's the lighting ring obviously" Oh really? Why a ring then "Mate"? Ermmmmmmm, oh yeah, it doesn't need to be a ring does it??? I just smiled "arghhh I don't know what I was thinking, daft sod" he says and laughs it off. lol

When I suggested he left the cable there he was not impressed "30 metres worth of cable there, I'm not doing that" I laughed whilst telling him it would probably cost him more to remove it from under the boards upstairs. I was wrong, "just as well I cut it into the concrete floor in the kitchen then eh" :smoking: Yep, cut a small trench into the concrete floor straight through the kitchen.

Here I am taking all this in whilst looking around thinking I know exactly where all of this is leading;)

It's been a while now so I decided to pop over this afternoon to check out how he's been getting on. I was just going to call you he said, how weird is that??? All looks very nice, quality of work looks very impressive... Cables have all been pulled in and palstered over sockets are in position.

So I drop the bombshell... So then "Mate" how are you getting all of this work signed off then? lol Should have seen the look on his face. Ermmm well... I was going to get you to do it when you change the consumer unit... Ah right, you know I can only sign off the work I do though don't you? Errmmmmmm... Really????

To shorten the story it turns out that because I won't sign off his work, he feels it may be better if he gets someone else in to do that and the CU change. I told him that he definitely should because there is no way I'll be signing off anything other than my own work.:)

He didn't seem at all bothered by the time I was leaving because he knows hundreds of electricians, all of which will sign off his work lmao.

So then, that's my good deed done for the day. If anyone knows the area I work in and wants to sign off a builders work then feel free to PM me for the details don't be expecting a very pleasant response though :thumbsup

well said, you never know whats going on under floors, cables just being ragged through etc, best to steer well clear, A profesional service for a profesional job

well said 1sc.
Bet there will be an old van with trunking on top outside the job nextweek though.

There could be helicopters with roof racks for all I care, I have washed my hands of and will play no further part in it. I'm just looking forward to the next call from him so that I can inform him that in the future he discusses his questions of how to do things with one of the many hundreds of electricians he knows that are happy to sign off his work ;)

if you went to this site not knowing what had happened 6 months later and then asked to change the consumer unit, would you not test all the circuits and then sign off the consumer unit under part p supplying an EIC? would then the test results and notification class as signing off therefore signing off the new circuits without knowing?

if you went to this site not knowing what had happened 6 months later and then asked to change the consumer unit, would you not test all the circuits and then sign off the consumer unit under part p supplying an EIC? would then the test results and notification class as signing off therefore signing off the new circuits without knowing?
No, because you state what works you have carried out. if its a CU change then that is all you can put down.

Builders!!!

Been working in a property today where I have visited on a few occasions now (more than I care to remember) where ongoing work is required.

Today's mission, fault finding on a lighting circuit. Found fault = Home owner decided that he would do his own capping and stuck a clout nail nicely between live and cpc, lovely burnt out little hole.

Mission 2, easy... install 6 down-lighters in the bathroom. So why on earth did it take me all bloody day?

Builder had boarded ceiling but had only poked the bottom of the pendant through the boards!

Light switch? Well, there was a pull cord hanging THROUGH a hole in the boards, Nice work. Removed boards after chalk lining and cutting holes only to discover that their new timbers for the false ceiling were sat directly below the light switch so that had to be smashed off. Cables going to the pendant? too short so had to smash existing ceiling to bits to get more slack!

Oh what a day!!!!

Oh and that was all after having to empty the bathroom of a garage worth of stuff being stored in there. Sick and tired of this particular job now. It only started as moving a couple of sockets and since then every time I visit there's more and more added to the list. Paid on day rate which is a benefit but I just want it to be finished now :(

Can't wait to go back Friday:cry_smile:

Reply to Discussion about Builders... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net