Discuss Dismissing staff in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for some input please :)
I have had a part qualified lad working for me since january.
Recently he has made some major cock ups and cost me a lot of time, money and some really unhappy customers.
It cant continue.
If I had give chance after chance and have had enough.
The thing I am unsure on is if I am legally allowed to just dismiss him??
I have given verbal warnings and the last was written.
Input would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If he's still in a probationary period you can "dismiss" almost instantly. That said you have to pay any accrued holiday he's due and maybe a "sweetener" on top....

OP- since the lad has only been with you since January, you can essentially dismiss his immediately. obviously paying him what he's due.
in the first two years they aren't entitled to any redundancy, however that only makes a difference if they are being made redundant obviously. your case is a.little different.he has had warnings and a written warning.

Op if this guy is only part qualified then everything be does should be under supervision. Has he been supervised? If so then it might be looking at who is supervising him.

Op if this guy is only part qualified then everything be does should be under supervision. Has he been supervised? If so then it might be looking at who is supervising him.
Exactly. Sorry found button, wife ranting about bllx, and half a bottle of shiraz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well spotted Sintra, I wonder if this could be ammunition for the lad, should he get stubborn about leaving.

Well spotted Sintra, I wonder if this could be ammunition for the lad, should he get stubborn about leaving.

Absolutely, would have a fair case of unfair dismissal IMO if he's been left on his own.

Thanks guys.
Basically hes done all his level 3 tech cert and am2 just no nvq.
So should be more than qualified to be left to his own devices......
I have been soft on him basically. My own fault. Letting things go rather than puting it in writing. Agreement was he is on a zero hours contract for first 6months. He had the written warning two weeks ago and he still doesnt take care or pride in his work. Just means I have to check all his work and id be better off doing it myself!
Am I wrong in leaving him to his own devices??
When I was a third year I had my own van and was told just to do a job!!!!
Thanks

Thanks guys.
Basically hes done all his level 3 tech cert and am2 just no nvq.
So should be more than qualified to be left to his own devices......
I have been soft on him basically. My own fault. Letting things go rather than puting it in writing. Agreement was he is on a zero hours contract for first 6months. He had the written warning two weeks ago and he still doesnt take care or pride in his work. Just means I have to check all his work and id be better off doing it myself!
Am I wrong in leaving him to his own devices??
When I was a third year I had my own van and was told just to do a job!!!!

Thanks

But we had a lot more about us than youth of today, they have been pampered to much so can't use their own common sense!

When I was an apprentice we weren't put in to do the am2 until the rest of the NVQ was done so it seems strange to me that he has gone and done the am2 without the rest of the NVQ

Reply to Dismissing staff in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net