Discuss Do i charge labour for replacing a fualty item thats gone within 1 year. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricshock

I fitted a triton handwash within the last year. i supplied the handwash. The customer has called and said its not heating the water. I know the handwash is within guarantee but would you charge labour for replacing it. What is normally done in this situation.

you have to bite the bullet here, i'm afraid. you installed it and, presumably gave a guarantee of 12 months. the mark up you should have added to the cost of the unit should cover you in some way towards the labour cost of replacing it. 9/10 it won't, but that's the game. replace it FOC. good for customer relastions. what goes round comes around.

Unless they supplied the handwash its your burden to bear, i normally give 12 months and after that i charge installation fee for replacement whether its in manufacturers warranty still or not

you make it up if equipment has a 2 year warranty and fails between 12 months and 24 months. you then charge for cost of replacement+labour, but you get the replacement unit for free.

Tel is right , if you supply materials that's one of the reasons you mark them up. I'm starting to get customers asking for price breakdown and then saying they'll supply materials to save my markup . I always tell them fair enough but if anything goes faulty I'll charge to replace it .

with business customers, i usually get them to supply materials ( except for cable etc). as 1. i don't have to stand out the cost. 2. they can claim the VAT back. 3. their problem if it fails.

I fitted a triton handwash within the last year. i supplied the handwash. The customer has called and said its not heating the water. I know the handwash is within guarantee but would you charge labour for replacing it. What is normally done in this situation.

As a rule of thumb, put yourself in the customer's position.

What would YOU expect to happen? :rolleyes2:

I do repairs on rentals so I fit a lot of fans and bathroom mirror lights and I work a fixed price quote system in other words if I say £120 then thats it and yes I make a healthy mark up on materials so when something goes wrong the letting agent sends me a work order and I return my invoice/report with FOC on it and trust me it appreciated. So in other words bite on it. Plus you will learn to use decent equipment as quality control now a days is very good.

I got called back to a job where the fan would either not run or run for 1-2 hours luckily I had a couple of spare timer cards on me so after 30 mins job sorted.

As said it's down to you, if it has failed in the guarantee period of the manufacturer see if you can claim back from the manufacturers your labour costs but don't hold your breath they will cough up.

I forgot to add that I give a 1 year parts and warranty on all equipment used so in the case of an extract fan that failed after 16 months I replaced the fan FOC but charged a callout as the fan has a 5 years no quibble warranty so I send it away for replacement and its good PR for me.

Just to add that if a customer wants to buy the parts himself I charge labour only but remind them I will not honour the warranty and they will have to pay me to come out if there is a problem

The choice is yours at the end of the day, you have 2 choices,
do it for free and hopefully you may get more business off the customer in the future, or they may pass your number on
or
charge them, but don't expect any more business, and they will probably slag u off to anyone who will listen.

after all its only going to 1/2 an hour

Reply to Do i charge labour for replacing a fualty item thats gone within 1 year. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net