Search the forum,

Discuss Do I Need To Update? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Emm Eff

I've been working offshore for the last 10 years and intend to get back working onshore. Although it was never a requirement to work offshore, I hold a current SJIB 17th edition card.

Have there been any recent changes to the regs that require me to attend any course to work as an installation electrician? I intend to work limited company, and eventually intend to work for myself which will consist of install, test and sign off my installations.

I've been reading about a 3rd amendment to the 17th and I'll be purchasing the necessary book but an unsure what the actual requirements are in terms of valid qualification.

Basically, if I hold a current 17th edition SJIB card I will have no issues getting employment or working for myself at this moment in time?

Well they have moved a lot.of regs about. So get new regs book and onsite guide
Tho 10yr ago,.wasn't we on 16th edition, as.it's call BS7672:2008 (2015)

I was 16th edition when I started offshore, but I did the 17th edition course when it came out and I've always kept my card renewed. This is why I'm double checking if I need to sit any courses now. However, I assume it'll be 18th edition before I need to sit any courses?

I knows it's been 10yr but education wise and qualifications. Your ok
So just reading up for your own peace of mind.

I can only take.about England/Wales really, but don't think there is much difference. Also I only know domestic.
For that these is testing course if you haven't got it yet, 2391 (now called 2394 and 2395)
Onsite build.regs guide book might be good for you to read and catch up
Remember Yellow versions now (red/green are old)

If your grade card is current you won't need to do any 17 th training until it needs renewed is my understanding of it
you I'll need a a ecs health and safety course though which is every three years.
it can be done online through select/sjib
they are based in the same building at the bush estate outside Edinburgh.i would give them a phone,they are usually quite helpful.

Is the testing course an actual requirement? I thought it was just beneficial, as any electrician with relevant ticket and experience can test and sign off a cert, no?

Reply to Do I Need To Update? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net