Discuss Do soffit downlighters have to be fire rated and which IP rating? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guy's,

New to the forum and was wondering what IP rating soffit downlighters would need to be and do they have to be fire rated. I know you have to use IP 44 for bathrooms because of the steam.

Let me know what you think, thanks in advance.

IP ratings and fire ratings are two different subjects depending on where they are fitted.

IP = The protection against objects (fingers, 1mm tool, dust) and the second number is for the ingress of moisture, steam, water, spray water, sea water, jet water and submerged. Fire rated go by how long it can withstand a certain temperature before malfunctioning.

Check out some LED ranges I know thay cost but less heat out put plus IP rated a lot less energy being used on a luxury item Allgood

I've never bothered about IP ratings on soffit downlights as they are always well back and completely out of the weather. That said circumstances on a particular job may dictate otherwise,and the possibility of cleaning plastic soffits with water jets etc may have to be taken into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
did some last week. IP65 stainless housings with LED lamps. cost was £15 per complete fitting

15 quid stainless LED?...sounds like a bargain.
I've just changed the tungsten GU10's in my soffits for blue LED's...they look great,although my boys were appalled and there were lots of mutterings about midlife crisis etc.......thought red might give the neighbours the wrong idea though:willy_nilly:

15 quid stainless LED?...sounds like a bargain.
I've just changed the tungsten GU10's in my soffits for blue LED's...they look great,although my boys were appalled and there were lots of mutterings about midlife crisis etc.......thought red might give the neighbours the wrong idea though:willy_nilly:
found the seller on line. the fittings are real good quality. will seek out the invoice and post a link. next day delivery was £5.99.

Reply to Do soffit downlighters have to be fire rated and which IP rating? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net