Discuss Do you Wago? (222 lever type) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deuce

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
In testing and developing automated, reconfigurable control boxes/panels we often use the wago lever connectors here - they're ideal for rapidly swapping components and in general for quick assembly.

I'm curious as to whether in domestic situations you chaps are making use of them these days? I have only seen one example of one of their 222 junction boxes used by a spark in domestic, kinda surprised not to see this more often given that the box and connectors costs about £1 and takes moments to fit.

I would also assume they're a good option for jobs such as new light fittings requiring extension of the existing wires or similar.

Do you have a stash of them in your van for when time is tight or you have fallen out of love with your screwdriver?

Yes, I use a mix of the push in connectors and lever connectors in both slimline and standard sizes. I also use the lighting connectors.

Containment being provided by the Wagobox, the Wagobox Lighting and Wagobox XL.

I have a full range of the connectors I've listed above.

The primary reason to use them is their flexibility and the fact that when installed correctly, the junction boxes are maintenance free (with the exception of the lighting boxes).

on a slightly different note, has anyone used the quickwire connectors yet? cost mere than wagos and are limited in their applications, but so quick to fit.

Yes I use loads, but not the 222 anymore as the 221 is better. You can even get din rail mount cradles for them.

Use heaps of push ins too although the lighting connectors not so much these days.

on a slightly different note, has anyone used the quickwire connectors yet? cost mere than wagos and are limited in their applications, but so quick to fit.

The mechanism is great, but they lack flexibility in terms of possible connections. I have some but not used any yet.
I think the real innovation with that product is the cable entry locking system. Just brilliant, and I could see that incorporated into products like light fittings

Yes I use loads, but not the 222 anymore as the 221 is better. You can even get din rail mount cradles for them.

Concur the 221 is better than the 222 but unless you use a Wagobox XL (which is too big for a lot of applications), I'm not aware of a container that allows you to use 221 in a maintenance free fashion as the standard Wagobox doesn't provide adequate support and the assembly wouldn't comply with the manufacturers requirements for the MF marking.

Use heaps of push ins too although the lighting connectors not so much these days.

They do 222 din rail mounts too, and surface mounts I believe. The rail mounts are very smart. In fact... In general wago's in a mount look about as neat as any other solution, and maintain their ease of use. I used to use screw down terminal blocks but I suspect that when the connections are changed repeatedly, the longevity of the wago lever might exceed that of the screw terminals (thinking if split screw heads and threaded screws). Also, no chance of a spring becoming slack or making a particularly poor connection, providing they are fitted correctly.

Concur the 221 is better than the 222 but unless you use a Wagobox XL (which is too big for a lot of applications), I'm not aware of a container that allows you to use 221 in a maintenance free fashion as the standard Wagobox doesn't provide adequate support and the assembly wouldn't comply with the manufacturers requirements for the MF marking.

Wago appear to disagree: http://www.wago.ltd.uk/enclosures/wagobox/

A box for 221 and a box for 222. Both maintenance free.

The mechanism is great, but they lack flexibility in terms of possible connections. I have some but not used any yet.
I think the real innovation with that product is the cable entry locking system. Just brilliant, and I could see that incorporated into products like light fittings

100% agree. I have used 222 to extend within a light fitting. I wouldn't push them back up into a ceiling void without enclosing them, but within the earthed shell of the light fitting, they are enclosed - in the same way the screw terminals of a ceiling rose are mechanically enclosed.

Wago appear to disagree: http://www.wago.ltd.uk/enclosures/wagobox/

A box for 221 and a box for 222. Both maintenance free.

• Wagobox (the standard size box) is only for 222 and 773 series connectors
  • Wagobox XL is for the 221 and 2273 series connectors
  • Wagobox XLA is for the 222 and 773 series connectors (this does not yet appear to be approved for maintenance free use)

So, there is no standard sized box that can take the slimline 221 and 2273 series connectors in a maintenance free mode. You would have to use a Wagobox XL which is nearly twice the price of a standard box.

Edit:- To be clear... the list of connectors above is when using in maintenance free mode. They do have sleeves available that allow you to use 221 and 2273 series connectors in the Wagbox and Wagobox XLA but from their own instructions, these cannot be used in maintenance free mode.

When using Din mounted Wagos for panel wiring, do you use bootlace ferrules?

I use almost exclusively the 222's, and there is no requirement to use ferrules, although you could if you wanted to I suppose. Given the design of the spring clamp though, I would expect that under testing the ferrule fitting could slip/shift more easily as they're harder than copper so the clamps would achieve less bite.

For the power supply circuits we use screw terminal blocks, as they're left generally unchanged - and I do use ferrules there for neatness and to ensure a solid connection. But on the load side of relays/plc etc, it's mostly just 222's.

• Wagobox XLA is for the 222 and 773 series connectors (this does not yet appear to be approved for maintenance free use)
So, there is no standard sized box that can take the slimline 221 and 2273 series connectors in a maintenance free mode. You would have to use a Wagobox XL which is nearly twice the price of a standard box.

Edit:- To be clear... the list of connectors above is when using in maintenance free mode. They do have sleeves available that allow you to use 221 and 2273 series connectors in the Wagbox and Wagobox XLA but from their own instructions, these cannot be used in maintenance free mode.

Sorry I read the previous post as you saying there are no wagoboxes suitable for MF and 221's, but yes - the XL is ok for that but also expensive.

Sorry I read the previous post as you saying there are no wagoboxes suitable for MF and 221's, but yes - the XL is ok for that but also expensive.

Do you think there will come a time when all accessories have Wago type connectors rather than screw?

Sockets would need 3 per conductor connection.... 2 for ring and a possible spur.
Loop in ceiling roses? Maybe moulded plastic to accept the Wagos as they are, not built into the rose... like the din rail mounts?
It would be difficult with switches and roses TBH.... not knowing how many conductors are needed at each terminal.

ps... This is MY idea. If MK, GET or any other manufacturer wants to buy the idea from me, please PM me :):moneybag::moneybag:

For anyone with too much time on their hands to day - this video shows how remarkably robust these things are.

The most fun starts at 4:13, with a wago 222 under ramped up to 5x rated load for over 10 minutes before deterioration! I suppose that any circuit protection with a reaction time of ten minutes or less is suitable then :cool:

It does demonstrate that the connection they make is extremely solid. It's very impressive that their clamp design can seat down on solid core soundly enough to carry such currents.

Reply to Do you Wago? (222 lever type) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net