Discuss Dodgy EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have a board change booked in for someone after a unsatisfactory EICR Seeing what others think of the report.
Seems to me they are either misinformed or looking for the extra work
It’s a second floor flat, he has written this.
C2 no rcd for cooker circuit
C2 no rcd for immersion circuit
C2 no rcd got socket circuits
C2 no rcd protection lighting circuit
For the sockets I would put C3 since it’s 2nd floor.
The others seem to be for cables in the wall which I would put C3.
Main bonding is 4mm which haven’t been coded.
The C2 lights are for cables in the wall since there is nothing in the tick sheet for rcd protection for lighting circuits and no code for rcd protection for bathroom circuits.
Which I would put C3 for all three anyway.
Seems instead of saying to them needs new bonding and rcd protection for lights Since no bathroom supplementary present, it would be worth changing the board at the same time since it old and only 4 ways and them given the choice,
They have just C2 everything to get a board change out of it.
It is a TN-CS and on the tick sheet they have put a C2 for rcd present for fault protection.
It also has a C2 for lack of rcd protection for cables cancelled in walls with Metal parts which seems unlikely for a domestic flat.
Has C2 for no rcd protection for mobile equipment for use outside Which again seems unlikely since it’s a second floor flat.
Don’t mind doing the board change since it makes it safer and I would probably recommend it,
Just wasn’t too impressed with the report interested in what others thought

I think you'll find now your going to get a massive array of answers for this question!! I use the napit codebreaker book which says no RCD for socket outlets and cables buried in the wall is a C2 which i always do. Especially in rented property's

I dont feel that i do it to get more work as having RCD protection just makes sense, any old idiot could come along and drill and hole in the wall through a cable or swing an extension lead out the 1st floor window, which i have seen.........

I think you'll find now your going to get a massive array of answers for this question!! I use the napit codebreaker book which says no RCD for socket outlets and cables buried in the wall is a C2 which i always do. Especially in rented property's

I dont feel that i do it to get more work as having RCD protection just makes sense, any old idiot could come along and drill and hole in the wall through a cable or swing an extension lead out the 1st floor window, which i have seen.........
Your wrong. ?
[automerge]1597351283[/automerge]
Have a board change booked in for someone after a unsatisfactory EICR Seeing what others think of the report.
Seems to me they are either misinformed or looking for the extra work
It’s a second floor flat, he has written this.
C2 no rcd for cooker circuit
C2 no rcd for immersion circuit
C2 no rcd got socket circuits
C2 no rcd protection lighting circuit
For the sockets I would put C3 since it’s 2nd floor.
The others seem to be for cables in the wall which I would put C3.
Main bonding is 4mm which haven’t been coded.
The C2 lights are for cables in the wall since there is nothing in the tick sheet for rcd protection for lighting circuits and no code for rcd protection for bathroom circuits.
Which I would put C3 for all three anyway.
Seems instead of saying to them needs new bonding and rcd protection for lights Since no bathroom supplementary present, it would be worth changing the board at the same time since it old and only 4 ways and them given the choice,
They have just C2 everything to get a board change out of it.
It is a TN-CS and on the tick sheet they have put a C2 for rcd present for fault protection.
It also has a C2 for lack of rcd protection for cables cancelled in walls with Metal parts which seems unlikely for a domestic flat.
Has C2 for no rcd protection for mobile equipment for use outside Which again seems unlikely since it’s a second floor flat.
Don’t mind doing the board change since it makes it safer and I would probably recommend it,
Just wasn’t too impressed with the report interested in what others thought
I agree with the majority of your points.

I just don’t see how cables Buried in a wall is Potentially dangerous - urgent remedial action required.
surely you could say the same about all rings and they should be a C2 someone could just come along and spur as many points as they want of a ring in the future or metal switches should be C2 cause someone could add a metal switch and not Earth it in the future.
How far do you take it

Do you not have a personal opinion of this or do you just follow a Guide, a Guide which is generally considered a joke within the trade.

So you can't think for yourself or have any understanding of the regulations, you just blindly follow what is written by someone in a book?

There are many books out there with incorrect information in them, just look at the collected works of DW Cockburn!

Sorry, but no, even the auto fill in NICEIC software boxes have buried cables with no RCD as a C3 along with the rest of the C2's in the OP's original list.

From this guide:

Page 12 has C2 for lack of RCD protection for outdoor sockets (or likely used as that) or for bathroom (other than SELV feed, or adequate supplementary bonding).

Page 14 has C3 for the other "lack of RCD" cases mentioned.

If I remember correctly that was taken directly from the 17th Edition, I haven't actually looked to see if it is still in the 18th.
[automerge]1597427803[/automerge]
I've just checked and all it states now is that lack of additional protection by RCD is at a minimum C3.

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_185512.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10
By saying minimum it is essentially saying you must Code it as Code 3 is the minimum.

Yes, but wasn't it a bit more specific in the 17th? I thought it set out C3 for sockets generally and C2 for bathrooms and external sockets?

I don't know where my copies of the 17th have got to at the moment.

Yes, but wasn't it a bit more specific in the 17th? I thought it set out C3 for sockets generally and C2 for bathrooms and external sockets?

I don't know where my copies of the 17th have got to at the moment.
It was the same in the 17th Ed.

Saying lack of RCD is a minimum of C3 makes sense, as clearly it is an aspect that could do with improvement in most cases, but it is not always a major source of danger to merit C2 rating, so one might hope that sensible judgment would be applied.

Hope maybe, not expect.

Reply to Dodgy EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net