Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wow, someone has been saving up all there bad luck and saving it for one sh!t day!!

A sad tale here, a friend of mind died recently and I went to see his workshop with one of his daughters to give her a hand. He was quite an interesting guy and generally very practical, but sadly not terribly good at electrical work, shall we say. Some of the originals stuff there was installed to a good standard, but in at least one of the boxes L2 was white wire, making it older than myself!
site1.jpg
site2.jpg
site3.jpg
site4.jpg

I was not there for electrics, just to lend a hand cleaning/moving stuff, so the only thing I could actually deal with there & then was the extension lead's plug with tools I usually have in my car boot.

The SWA from the switch (or switched-fuse) is really a spectacular example, it is connected but only by a handful of strands. I really would like to know why it ended up like that as I presume it was properly glanded in the past. The main set of DB used to feed multiple units in an industrial block but the left box of fuses now has just a single 40A circuit that is not on the unit's own billing meter, but nobody I asked has any idea of who/why it remains from this separated unit now.

Of course it needs major renovation, realistically a rewire and all of the stuff replaced, but I might have to do something (like a new SWA gland!) until the estate is sorted out and the siblings who now own it can agree on getting it sorted out professionally.

Back to my old friend's place again. Turns out there was no earthing of the armour! So the car lift had been really dangerous for years! I put a gland on so now it is earthed, but left it switched off anyway. As I finished doing that I knocked an envelope nailed to the wall, and lo! A "new" 20s gland fell out from some perished plastic bag. So clearly he had the gland for a long time with the view to fixing it but never got round to it :(
In the process I took a look inside and its a bit grim:
switch-fuse.jpg
fuses.jpg

Yes, those are bits of fuse wire in what should be the location of bolted HRC fuses in the Dorman-Smith switched-fuse, and indeed that is white for L2 showing it dates pre-1966, and I agree the CPC to the Wylex box below is far too small.

The MEM box of rewirable fuses has asbestos flash-pads, so a problem for ultimate disposal, and it has way too much connected to it with little or no regard to adequate protection. It is most certainly a rip-out and replace the lot job once the estate is finalised.

I turned up to change an outside light. This was the supply cable as I found it and the photograph to explain to customer why it needed to be a bigger job. Needless to say I took it out of service and ran a new cable.
When the place was rewired I think no one fancied tackling the slate roof to replace it.

Twin (without earth) and tinned copper conductors, so it's probably sat here in its buckle clips since the early 60's

1710878412280.png
1710878843744.png

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock