Discuss Does a Rewire of Bathroom Have to Have Extractor Fan Installed for Regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's NOTIFICATION that has to be declared to LABC. The electrician does this through his Competent Person Scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc)

In addition, he should provide you with an Installation Certificate. Make sure you get both of these.

Almost impossible to obtain after he's been paid and disappeared!
Make it a condition of final payment!

It's NOTIFICATION that has to be declared to LABC. The electrician does this through his Competent Person Scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc)

In addition, he should provide you with an Installation Certificate. Make sure you get both of these.

Almost impossible to obtain after he's been paid and disappeared!
Make it a condition of final payment!
Thanks, I will endeavor too. Have been finding him bit difficult as he went AWOL for a week and has overrun on the job and now is hassling me to inspect and then pay as soon as he is finished. He also was at first saying he wouldn't let me have the certificates until I'd paid the final balance which was agreed would be paid on completion.

Thanks, I will endeavor too. Have been finding him bit difficult as he went AWOL for a week and has overrun on the job and now is hassling me to inspect and then pay as soon as he is finished. He also was at first saying he wouldn't let me have the certificates until I'd paid the final balance which was agreed would be paid on completion.

Oh dear.... Hassling you to inspect and test.... But your kitchen isn't fitted and the sockets are not complete...... This story just keeps on giving.

It's worth noting that most self certification schemes take a dim view of certificates being withheld. May I suggest you ask him for his scheme number and his full name?

Holding you to ransom over final payment does not sound good and sounds exactly like a reason to not pay in full until you have the certificates.

Oh dear.... Hassling you to inspect and test.... But your kitchen isn't fitted and the sockets are not complete...... This story just keeps on giving.

It's worth noting that most self certification schemes take a dim view of certificates being withheld. May I suggest you ask him for his scheme number and his full name?
I should point out fitting of the kitchen is not part of the job, just its wiring.

When these threads appear I do wonder what the other side of the story is?

Customers making changes? Expecting changes without paying for them? Customers supplying 2nd rate products....

I always send the cert with the invoice..... Except, if I have doubts I am going to be paid.... Then I withhold them, by prior agreement until payment is cleared in my account!

The regulations state that on completion of the work, a electrical installation certificat shall be "provided"
Unless certification has been produced ,the installation does not conform to the wiring regulations

He's not given them to me yet so I haven't had a chance to look.

Thanks very much.

He says will do the extractor now so hopefully all should be fine now.

QUOTE]

He's agreed now to give me them before final payment after I pointed out I've always paid on time.
QUOTE]

I don't know of many tradesmen answering their phones so quickly at night, if indeed at all. I think someone is being a little bit economical with the truth, just my opinion.

Novice12, I hope you get things sorted out. If your electrical work hasn't been carried out by a scheme registered electrician, there is a process to have this approved by lbc (or the lbc has been previously informed). It's called a regularisation certificate. They are expensive, but will involve having this work inspected, by a competent electrician

Reply to Does a Rewire of Bathroom Have to Have Extractor Fan Installed for Regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net