Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss does garage need consumer unit? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carlos_tlewis

Hello!

Just a quick question, had a look but can't see anything about it.

Basically my customer wants 1 Socket and 1 Light in their garage, the garage is joined to the house.

What I'm use to doing is running a cable from house consumer unit to garage consumer unit and then running sockets and lights off that.

So my question is, do I need to install a consumer unit for the garage or can I just take the cables from house consumer unit.

The house consumer unit is a split load board so everything will be RCD protected.

Might seem a daft question but would be great if someone could clear it up for me, thanks in advance!

Hello!

Just a quick question, had a look but can't see anything about it.

Basically my customer wants 1 Socket and 1 Light in there garage, the garage is joined to the house.

What I'm use to doing is running a cable from house consumer unit to garage consumer unit and then running sockets and lights off that.

So my question is, do I need to install a consumer unit for the garage or can I just take the cables from house consumer unit.

The house consumer unit is a split load board so everything will be RCD protected.

Might seem a daft question but would be great if someone could clear it up for me, thanks in advance!

No reason not to extend the lighting and ring final to include the garage.

Doesn't have to have it's own garage CU, If there's no great load being used I'd feed into a SFCU, then out to socket, FCU down again for the light.

or, if there's a spare way in the CU add a 16A or 20 MCB , then 2.5mm radial to garage socket, then 5A FCU for light. the FCU can double as a switch for the light.

Or, if it's easier, create a new 20A radial from an RCBO on the non rcd side to feed the socket and use an fcu for the light. Has the advantage that the house remains on when clint runs over the mower lead.

If you can keep all the cables surface mounted, forget the RCBO and use an RCDSO

If there's no great load being used I'd feed into a SFCU, then out to socket, FCU down again for the light.

and this

FCU can double as a switch for the light.
I have done this for garage/conservatory, esp. when the house is wired to 16th Ed. (ie. no RCD on lighting), and fed the garage/conservatory from the RCD side.

On one job the building inspector insisted that I wired the lighting circuit in 1.5mm, in case someone replaced the 5A lighting fuse with a 13 A one.

Last edited:

Reply to does garage need consumer unit? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net