Discuss Don't want to cut the seals to a meter? Just do this! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leo79

-
Reaction score
Came across this yesterday, new CU fitted 5 years ago by a mate of a mate (of the homeowner). I bet he walked away from that thinking "Yep, I've done a crackin' job there"

20121004_183224[1].jpg

quite rare that,a meter with seals I mean.definately worth a photo most of us aint seen one with seals on they,ve usually dropped off haven,t they lads? lol

a guy asked me today to overide his meter in a house he doing up............i never turned up...

there is something todo with a magnet and glass of water to slow it down......... on youtube???

Recently carried out a rewire of a flat above a shop and the main 60a fuse was fed from 16mm singles which were "choc blocked" 3 times on route from another 60a fuse in the shop. The earth disappeared in the loft and never re-appeared in the shop, it was just cut half way between the 2. Called out the DNO and they installed 25mm concentric FOC & eliminated the fuse in the shop. Makes me wonder how many more like this are out there, especially in rented properties.

quite rare that,a meter with seals I mean.definately worth a photo most of us aint seen one with seals on they,ve usually dropped off haven,t they lads? lol

After I had my cup of tea and went back to CU the seals had disappeared, which was very handy because it meant I could sort the tails out.

99.999% of the DNO guys are not bothered about missing seals especially when they see a new/modern consumer unit installed.
Most of the DNO chaps I have met are diamond geezers especially the old school, some of the youngsters can be jobs worth but they will soon learn to rules!

just today, i had to make a 1.5 hour round trip to disconnect tails from an unsealed meter, just to reconnect into new suppliers isolator.

i asked the meter operative - about 35 years old - why he couldn't just have done it? "my manager said not to disconnect the tails from that meter as it isn't our's"

i know he was just following orders, but a little common sense wouldn't have gone amiss!

hey maffa!!

just for that i would have snapped one of the brass screw heads off...!! then left a bit of 16mm cable hanging down and told him he cant remove meter as it has your property attached to it!!

Reply to Don't want to cut the seals to a meter? Just do this! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net