Discuss Dont you just love RCD's. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SirKit Breaker

Done a job today. new high integrity CU. All wiring test out spot on as new and well within spec for everything.
Changed CU, lovely. Started plugging appliances back in. Fridge trips RCD ,Freezer trips RCD, washing machine trips RCD, everything else fine. Told householder he needs new appliances..not chuffed. They are all about 20 years old and tatty. After much discussion he decided i was right when i explained about the whys and wherefores of RCD's. He payed no problem eventually. What a day:(

Anyone for plastering

Last edited by a moderator:
Unusual for all his appliances to be tripping the rcd. Not impossible I suppose, I've had a couple of faulty new rcd's in the past, did you try ramp testing it? I'd of prob ramped it with each of these 3 appliances. See what I got.. Imagine him going out buying all new appliances when he didn't need too.

I use a plug RCD to check key trouble appliances prior to commencement of this type of work. It allows the client to be aware of my concern. Sometimes it works out great, identifying a troubled device prior to installation. Only once has it failed to pick up an appliance that causes tripping.

Last edited:
just had call out today same prob microwave fridge washer all must be 10 years old,

turned out brand new kenwood kettle causing the trip

I use a plug RCD to check key trouble appliances prior to commencement of this type of work. It allows the client to be aware of my concern. Sometimes it works out great, identifying a troubled device prior to installation. Only once has it failed to pick up an appliance that causes tripping.

thats a great idea!

Thats one of those obvious solutions that you don't see and miss. I bet you were scratching your head at something one day and ding found a simple solution. I have an RCD extension in my kit and never thought of that. Good thinking. Its like a socket tester you can show your client without doubt prior to work saving customer hassles after. great.

Unusual for all his appliances to be tripping the rcd. Not impossible I suppose, I've had a couple of faulty new rcd's in the past, did you try ramp testing it? I'd of prob ramped it with each of these 3 appliances. See what I got.. Imagine him going out buying all new appliances when he didn't need too.

Plugged appliances into different circuits to prove, tripped whichever RCD They were protected by.

just had call out today same prob microwave fridge washer all must be 10 years old,

turned out brand new kenwood kettle causing the trip

Wow thats scary.

I have been to a job today where i changed the CU about a year and he came out saying his RCD tripping.

Yep, you guessed it........kettle, about 6 months old.

So i sent him to Argos, as it was nearly time for a brew :D

Unusual, yes, to have a number of faulty appliances playing up in one hit

Before I commited myself by advising him to forki out for new appliances I think i would definetly insulation and continuity test the appliances themselves
Also using an heavy load item,like the kettle, to be sure it wasn't load influenced

If I had not tested everything ,I would still be anxious until the new appliances were used and the system found to be healthy
It would be hard to explain if something was overlooked and the man wouild not be a "happy chappie" if he ended up with a few spare appliances :eek: :)

second that one myself

client from couple of month ago where i changed CU to one with all RCBOs..
they bought a new kettle, and it kept tripping the circuit, they took it back and changed it as a fault, and the new one works fine..!

Hi,
Do you mean ramp test the RCD with the appliances plugged and on??

Sorry if its a dumb question !!

Sav

Disconnect all appliances and such like.

Ramp test should tell you what mA it will trip at, if its a 30mA RCD. Anything way over could be a faulty one and should be replaced, I think im correct here....

I got a kettle from Asda last year had it about yep 6months and it suddenly exploded.
Jumped outa me skin as i was reading at the time BANG! Flash! lights out. got a replacement and it happened again in a week!

Don't get an On kettle as its really a kettle that complies to bomb regs

Reply to Dont you just love RCD's. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net