Discuss Downlighter max amount on one circuit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bigboy247

Was looking a a job today in a kitchen, the customer had 12 gu10 50w 240v mains downlighters off one switch, 6amp mcb to 1.5cm T&E. Then had a thought ,yes it does happen?

12 lights x 50watts = 600
______ = 2.608 amps
230 v
She has asked for 12 more gu10 50w 240v which will take it to 1200w /230v = 5.217amps all fine but on the same circuit 4 100amp ceiling roses which takes it to 1600w ,so 6.956 amp so greater that the fuse.Yes can use diversity so below 6 amp but should I recommend some light get down rated.Hope I got my maths right as been a long time since school.But she then asked about all 24 lights on one switch where she has 2gang it the moment ,would this trip the mcb due to sudden inrush when the switch opens to 24 gu10.She will not have Elv 12v ones as the transformers can never be replaced or hidden due to the nature of the customers requests.Yes I know its special location.

What about the low energy fluorescent type gu10's? think there about 13w, obviously a different concentration of light compared to halogens but it would reduce the demand considerably

I have asked the customer about other lighting options but will only have 50w GU10 as she requires the room to be as bright as possible and only wants very bright downlighters and she has tried samples of the alternatives and love them or hate them the customer knows what she wants.I got some top end LEDs and they still not good enough.

Pop a 10A MCB in the CU (or RCBO if not RCD protected), at the end of the day as a max you could get away with a 16A (not ideal) on 1.5T+E if installation methods ok!

Problem solved, no stress!

Last edited:
Hi,
why not 6 amp C type mcb ? That should be ok with the sudden surge upon switching on, or an alternative 10 amp B type.

Sav

I'd go to a B10A. There shouldn't be a peak above that as the lamps have a resistive load rather than an inductive load. i think that's right. I know what I mean.!ÂŁ$&*&^. Bl*&dy red wine again!!

think yourself lucky she hasn't asked you to put them all on a dimmer switch!

God forbid, house is like a bomb site after a bad fire and they have a thousand and one ideas, I will have to post some pictures on here as the kitchen fitters ripped out the kitchen with all the sockets off and just the wires sticking out the back boxes still live. Cooker switch is now inside the wall how they managed so much damage to the kitchen I will never know. Lights supply was just cut through left live hanging down (live), not good when your 6"3 and theres no celing only live cables as they have kids took two hours just to make safe H&S /trading standards coming tomorrow so no more kitchen fitters I will see young sky walker. I still can`t believe people can walk away and leave it like that,was a favour for there friend who phoned me and as good will went round after work and was horrified.

Well sure I have both in the van for emergency purposes.But its all money at the end of the day and the way the climate is at the moment no one can turn down work.

Reply to Downlighter max amount on one circuit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net