Discuss Downstairs sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The house I recently purchased has got the downstairs s/o on one circuit. There are 4 in the kitchen and 4 in the lounge. Does the kitchen need to be a seperate circuit? To me it seems daft just having 4 s/o on one circuit.:rolleyes2:

There is no rule or reg that says a kitchen must be on it's own circuit.

It's more a question of one's own design views WRT loading & circuit constraints etc.

is the cooker on its own circuit?....or on the downstairs ring final?....if so then as has been mentioned above...use discretion...especially when the cooker is being used wont you......

@Lenny
From the Electro-Technical Council of Ireland (ETCI),,a very similar body to the IEE.
I find it strange that all us Europeon countries are supposed to be working with "Harmonised Regulations", but there are still huge differences between all our working practises and regulations.

Why Radials only??
Not 100% sure why they changed the rules on kitchen wiring. Tech Council say it was to give more power to kitchen areas but I never had a problem, I'm sure most other sparks didn't either.
When I was wiring kitchens, it was always a 32A Ring, and sometimes (depending on size / diversity) I'd put in a 15A radial for the oven.
Rings are permissable elsewhere in the building.

@Lenny
From the Electro-Technical Council of Ireland (ETCI),,a very similar body to the IEE.
I find it strange that all us Europeon countries are supposed to be working with "Harmonised Regulations", but there are still huge differences between all our working practises and regulations.

There is no way the UK and Ireland can be harmonised with Europe, not while we still have a fused plug top. Most European countries have DP protective devices at the DB's, because most use non polarized plug tops. Many are still using unearthed power outlets.

Anyway, it's about time they took a few things from the UK regulations, instead of the UK changing or lowering it's standards, perhaps the rest of Europe can change and even raise there's a little for a change...lol!!

A Irish friend of mine from Eire, tells me that they are only permitted to use ring final circuits, though don't quote me on this, as my friend is a joiner and has only observed sparkys using this practise, over there...

A Irish friend of mine from Eire, tells me that they are only permitted to use ring final circuits, though don't quote me on this, as my friend is a joiner and has only observed sparkys using this practise, over there...

I'd say that ruling was some time ago.
We're working from ETCI rulings from July 2011 at the moment.
An odd one here up to recently was that every house had to have at least 1 ring

Not 100% sure why they changed the rules on kitchen wiring. Tech Council say it was to give more power to kitchen areas but I never had a problem, I'm sure most other sparks didn't either.
When I was wiring kitchens, it was always a 32A Ring, and sometimes (depending on size / diversity) I'd put in a 15A radial for the oven.
Rings are permissable elsewhere in the building.

Just seems to me they are playing around with the current UK Reg's trying to put their own stamp on it without any good reason to do so!!... Surely it's down to the electrical designer what requirements a particular kitchen needs??

If they were that concerned, they could have just stated ''minimum of 2 power circuits required within kitchen areas''!! At least that would give the designer a bit of room to maneuver, by having 1 x ring and 1 x radial, 2 rings, 2 x radials!!

Reply to Downstairs sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net