Discuss E27 Light fitting cant find one online? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for a E27 fittings to fit my E27 bulb... for a uk standard ceiling light... I have an ceramic one fitted used for incandescent heat bulbs and it doesn't fit my lampshade very well..

Does anyone know a link?

Hi I am looking for a E27 fittings to fit my E27 bulb... for a uk standard ceiling light... I have an ceramic one fitted used for incandescent heat bulbs and it doesn't fit my lampshade very well..

Does anyone know a link?
Hi Sam,
If you are a DIY your best bet is proably Amazon, they have many different E27 fittings and also have B22 (standard UK bayonet ) to E27 adapter fittings so there is no wiring to change.
Hope this helps
JohnC

I already have that. It doesn't fit the lampshade
What size is the hole in your lampshade that the lamp holder needs to fit?

Bayonet style (B22) lamp holders typically require a shade with a 28 or 30mm diameter hole.
ES Screw in style (E27) lamp holders typically require a shade with a 40mm diameter hole.

If your lampshade has the 30mm hole, you will probably need a bayonet (B22) lamp holder and lamp to be able to use it!

I don't think a lamp holder for E27 bulbs exists that is only 30mm outside diameter. Since the bulb thread is 27mm, and it must be insulated because the thread may be live, I suspect more that 1.5mm of insulation would be needed - but happy to be proved wrong !

Last edited:
What size is the hole in your lampshade that the lamp holder needs to fit?

Bayonet style (B22) lamp holders typically require a shade with a 28 or 30mm diameter hole.
ES Screw in style (E27) lamp holders typically require a shade with a 40mm diameter hole.

If your lampshade has the 30mm hole, you will probably need a bayonet (B22) lamp holder and lamp to be able to use it!

I don't think a lamp holder for E27 bulbs exists that is only 30mm outside diameter. Since the bulb thread is 27mm, and it must be insulated because the thread may be live, I suspect more that 1.5mm of insulation would be needed - but happy to be proved wrong !
Yeh the current E27 Light Bulb Base Socket Ceramic Edison Screw ES Cap Heat Lamp Holder Fitting i have is too big for my lampshade. So it just sorta balances it, sometimes it crocked to the side, the reason I wanted to change it is because a electrician said the wireses shouldn't be showing... I was going to put a heatbulb there with no shade, but now i have a red e27 bulb in there...

So sounds like I either need a new shade with e27 fitting or go back to bayonet fitting and find a bayonet red bulb....

Or just leave it as it is...

If you can see the inner insulated wires (eg brown and blue, or whatever colours they are), then the electrician is correct, they shouldn't be like that, the inner wires should be covered by the flex outer insulation all the way into the lamp holder.
Also I think a heat lamp ought to be hung from heat resistant cable.

Some of the ceramic E27 holders I see on Amazon/Ebay seem to be designed for incorporation into enclosures as they have exposed terminals or require single insulated wires to be on display. They are not really suitable for a domestic pendant fitting unless they have a cable grip.

Yeh the current E27 Light Bulb Base Socket Ceramic Edison Screw ES Cap Heat Lamp Holder Fitting i have is too big for my lampshade. So it just sorta balances it, sometimes it crocked to the side, the reason I wanted to change it is because a electrician said the wireses shouldn't be showing... I was going to put a heatbulb there with no shade, but now i have a red e27 bulb in there...

So sounds like I either need a new shade with e27 fitting or go back to bayonet fitting and find a bayonet red bulb....

Could you post a picture of the lamp please?

"The best choice of LED bulb"
There are many options when it comes to buying light bulbs, but choosing the right kind doesn't have to be difficult. Today's light bulbs are mostly light emitting diodes (LEDs). LED lamps are now suitable for all types of lighting and are the most energy efficient option. LED bulbs have lower wattage than incandescent bulbs but emit the same light output. This allows them to produce the same amount of light but use less energy. LED bulbs can last over 20 years and are mercury free.

LED bulbs work by using an electric current passed through a semiconductor material to illuminate the tiny diodes. The heat generated is absorbed in a brush, keeping the bulbs cool to the touch. This also means they don't contribute to heat build-up, which helps save air conditioning. LED bulbs can also be used outside - just make sure the packaging indicates the bulb is rated for outdoor use.

"The best choice of LED bulb"
There are many options when it comes to buying light bulbs, but choosing the right kind doesn't have to be difficult. Today's light bulbs are mostly light emitting diodes (LEDs). LED lamps are now suitable for all types of lighting and are the most energy efficient option. LED bulbs have lower wattage than incandescent bulbs but emit the same light output. This allows them to produce the same amount of light but use less energy. LED bulbs can last over 20 years and are mercury free.

LED bulbs work by using an electric current passed through a semiconductor material to illuminate the tiny diodes. The heat generated is absorbed in a brush, keeping the bulbs cool to the touch. This also means they don't contribute to heat build-up, which helps save air conditioning. LED bulbs can also be used outside - just make sure the packaging indicates the bulb is rated for outdoor use.

ChatGPT by any chance? :)

Reply to E27 Light fitting cant find one online? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net