Currently reading:
Earth leakage measurement

Discuss Earth leakage measurement in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Would someone please remind me how I can do this again? I know if I clamp the neutral only it will give me a reading stating how out of balance the phases are but do I clamp neutral and earth together at the same time to obtain earth leakage current?

it's a special. like a low ohms meter, it reads in mA, not A.

can you touch the terminals of line and neutral with probes what setting would you choose??? i think no, but go on smack me baby

they said use a special meter(earth leakage tester) as uses mA, but testers i used at collage you can set to mA and Amp so could you just use this multimeter and use probes on terminals, instead of clamp

I've got an ordinary fluke clamp meter wouldn't that do or is there a special earth leakage clamp meter available?

Here Hoover take a look at this unit, about the cheapest i have found available in UK so far.....
Dilog DL6507 10uA to 60A AC Leakage Clamp meter. Buy online or call

ALL electricians should now own such a leakage meter, now that RCD devices are required for virtually all circuits in domestic installations, and generally so widespread

Last edited by a moderator:
god give me strength. a normal clamp meter will not measure the small ( mA ) current you need to measure. be like using a sledgehammer to tap mini trunking lid on

Meters that measure current using probes on leads require you to break the circuit and put the meter across the break. The meter will then be in series with the circuit being measured. This is usually very awkward if not impossible unless you are in lab conditions, hence the popularity of clamp meters for measuring current in everyday situations.

about £100 + vat. but if you do a lot of fault finding one of these is a must. i'm saving up. if anyone's got one going cheap second hand, i want one!!!

Reply to Earth leakage measurement in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back