Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Earth leakage measurement in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Would someone please remind me how I can do this again? I know if I clamp the neutral only it will give me a reading stating how out of balance the phases are but do I clamp neutral and earth together at the same time to obtain earth leakage current?

it's a special. like a low ohms meter, it reads in mA, not A.

can you touch the terminals of line and neutral with probes what setting would you choose??? i think no, but go on smack me baby

they said use a special meter(earth leakage tester) as uses mA, but testers i used at collage you can set to mA and Amp so could you just use this multimeter and use probes on terminals, instead of clamp

I've got an ordinary fluke clamp meter wouldn't that do or is there a special earth leakage clamp meter available?

Here Hoover take a look at this unit, about the cheapest i have found available in UK so far.....
Dilog DL6507 10uA to 60A AC Leakage Clamp meter. Buy online or call

ALL electricians should now own such a leakage meter, now that RCD devices are required for virtually all circuits in domestic installations, and generally so widespread

Last edited by a moderator:
god give me strength. a normal clamp meter will not measure the small ( mA ) current you need to measure. be like using a sledgehammer to tap mini trunking lid on

Meters that measure current using probes on leads require you to break the circuit and put the meter across the break. The meter will then be in series with the circuit being measured. This is usually very awkward if not impossible unless you are in lab conditions, hence the popularity of clamp meters for measuring current in everyday situations.

about £100 + vat. but if you do a lot of fault finding one of these is a must. i'm saving up. if anyone's got one going cheap second hand, i want one!!!

not much work on at the moment mate, bad time of year anyway. going to have to do some leaflets methinks.

aye serious, get it going telectricx il come work for you in 2 years time , be no slackin then

and il have look at post 8 now engineer thanks hunni

so just ac setting on a normal clamp meter on earth conductor, so the leakage tester is just another toy
A "normal" clamp meter will probably not have a fine enough resolution for earth leakage. If you think about what you're measuring it's usually the amount of current necessary to make a rcd/rcbo trip (very often around the 2x milliamp area ... even though they're rated at 30ma most will trip less than that). Remember right tool for the right job.

my 1 gallon whisky bottle needs a lot more coinsin it to buy another meter. just booked my 1552 in for calibration, thats £57.50.

You could probably do the calibration check yourself telectrix. Once it's been done get yourself a set of resistors appropriate values for your meter and use them as a benchmark for your calibrated meter. You can then check the readings on the meter against your benchmark. You will still need to send it in to get it adjusted (and will of course need to keep the necessary records) but only if it needs adjusting.

Oh you'll need to keep the records of the check as well of course.

Last edited:
yeah, i gojng to get one of those calcards. the 1552 was bought out of calibration, but checked it against a mate's calibrated mft and the readfings were nearly all identical. got assess ment coming up soon though, so got to get a cert.

Reply to Earth leakage measurement in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net