Discuss Earthing rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry Cade

Here's one that'll make you laugh then cringe,I was doing a replacement RCBO consumer unit for an old wylex rewirable fuse unit on a TT system recently, when I came to tracing out and testing main earthing conductor to earthing rod and was having trouble finding it(the rod that is)I could trace the bonding conductors to the water and gas but the main earth disappeared into the fabric of the building and I couldn't for the life of me find the rod,when the customer came home from work I told him of my problem and he said "Oh its in here" and proceeded to walk around to the back door to garage,I thought oh its in a corner buried under stuff and I haven't spotted it,he went into garage reached into a cupboard turned around with the rod in his hand and said "here it is" and handed it to me,I said to him "Thats supposed to be in the ground with an earth cable attached to it" to which he replied "Well when I had the extension built it was in the way,so I took it out,,,,,,I connected the wire to a copper pipe though!" I said to him "It doesn't work like that,how long has extension been built" he said "20yrs" you should have seen his face when I told him he didn't have an earth to his house for that long.
I know he sort of had one with the gas pipe being buried,but thats not the point,he did have a voltage operated elcb but that was faulty and didn't work,and they are a pile of pants anyway,and his water pipe that he had reconnected the earth to had been changed by water auth. to hep2o plastic from his stop cock to the main stop cock in the road so not really sufficient there either.
What I found under floorboards would make your hair stand on end too,2.5 T/E stripped bare with flex feeding sockets twisted,yes twisted no mechanical connection around the conductors and just taped joints,2.5 T/E run through 15mm copper tube with the burr still there cutting into insulation making copper tube live(heating engineer job,they couldn't get cable across landing without lifting floor boards at top of stairs,so put it into tube to fish it across and just left it in tube,QUALITY),kitchen sockets screwed directly to wooden panelling no back boxes so a fire risk,wall lights wired in 0.5mm bell flex spurred off again twisted connection to radial socket circuit,strappers between 2 way switches using twin and earth with earth conductor utilised as a live switches in metal boxes so not earthed,all the radial socket circuits were on 30a fuse wire and multiple 20amp j/b's that had so many cables in them they looked like spiders.Every day when he came home the cost to sort it out had gone up and it got to the point when he said "Do you go looking for stuff" I did think about punching him at this point but instead told him "No but in the process of moving sockets and adding sockets as he had requested me to do and in testing I find this stuff, which I have to fix or disconnect the circuit as a legal and moral obligation if they constitute a risk to life" he did agree for me to finish work and make it safe and he did pay me but wasn't very happy bunny when I told him it was that or not have any electric in his house.
Just put this thread up to be a warning to anyone,be careful of what you quote,tell them if you find anything wrong(and you will find stuff if house is of any age and a hobby sparks has been at work) you will have to fix it or not liven circuit up,another tip I will pass on I always take photo's of the bad stuff on my phone before I tell them what I've found,just so they don't think I've made it up and creating work(LOOKING FOR IT!)
Hope this has been informative and I haven't been teaching my Granny to suck eggs Ha!
PS TT systems should be banned,electricity boards should change them to TN-C-S the Ze and Zs on TT's is atrocious no matter what the resistance I always fit RCD's or ELCB's on TT's,and I think I might fit RCBO's on every job now I've done this job.

RCBO's? Do they meet the requirements for disconnecting a fault on a TT system? A SP RCBO is next to useless disconnecting a N>E fault. I do hope you've fitted DP units.

Wasn't having a dig at you. The argument about RCBO's is likely to grow as they become more common place. Always a point to keep in mind.

Didn't think you was having a dig mate,you got me thinking tho,think rcbo's are the way to go,expensive but when you get a N/E fault on an rcd main switch board the customer loses the whole board and cant isolate the circuit,at least with rcbo they only lose that circuit

I'm dead set against SP RCBO's. They may comply to the regulations if a main isolating is fitted, but they don't disconnect both poles when a N>E fault occurs. I've no problems with DP units.

Now I'll admit I'm the wrong person to ask about domestic equipment. Always been in to heavy industrial. Other lads on here will tell you the makes to avoid. To my mind they are not fit for purpose. As an idea, there was a thread a short while ago about RCBO's fitted in a caravan. slightly different situation but well worth the read as I recall. Use the search in the top right look for RCBO caravan, it should bring it up for you. PS I've got a new laptop and can't get line break to work, hence the long rambling post.

Now I'll admit I'm the wrong person to ask about domestic equipment. Always been in to heavy industrial. Other lads on here will tell you the makes to avoid. To my mind they are not fit for purpose. As an idea, there was a thread a short while ago about RCBO's fitted in a caravan. slightly different situation but well worth the read as I recall. Use the search in the top right look for RCBO caravan, it should bring it up for you. PS I've got a new laptop and can't get line break to work, hence the long rambling post.

Are you just talking about SP RCBO's on TT systems, or the use of SP RCBO's as a whole Tony??

"PS TT systems should be banned,electricity boards should change them to TN-C-S the Ze and Zs on TT's is atrocious "

There is a very good reason for using TT systems in the right locations. If you live on the top of a hill where lightning is likely to strike, do you really want to get fried when you flush the loo?

Last edited:
problem with domestics, though , tony is it's generally impossible, space wise, to fit out a CU with 2 pole RCBOs. you'd be needing to fit a CU 2'6" wide.

So that makes them OK then? They don't offer the correct protection, but they fit in and look nice. I'm loosing the plot somewhere.

I don't think single pole units are of any use what so ever. They can't clear a N>E fault so what good are they?

When has a typical MCB/Fuse ever been able to clear a N-E fault on typical single phase TN systems etc ??

Having said that, there are single unit sized RCBO's that open both PH and N poles. Maybe over time, these will become the norm. One of the main reasons that countries like France and other European countries use DP breakers and the like, is the extensive use of TT systems. Some of those DB boards can be 3 times the size of a typical UK domestic CU.

Reply to Earthing rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net