Discuss ECA and ESC announce major partnership in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
In a move which will bring the electrical contracting industry together as never before, the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) have today announced the creation of the Electrical Safety Register.

Read the full news article

Great two registers already!, although the Napit one will die on its hole because the ECA have come in on the other one, the ESC are to go too for the government and are the ones that produce a lot of the guidelines already and also the ESC own the NICEIC so it's already quite a powerful coalition

In a move which will bring the electrical contracting industry together as never before, the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) have today announced the creation of the Electrical Safety Register.

Read the full news article

Great - a shame it won't include the 12,000 Part P registered sparks in NAPIT, BRE, STROMA & the other one !

Not sure what this is going to really achieve, it just seems that the NICEIC and ELECSA have agreed some sort of partnership, with the ECA involved.

Will it mean that you can not register with this "Certsure LLP" unless you are qualified to a certain standard

a) Apprentice trained
b) Recognized C&G course and the NVQ 3

Or as I suspect it will not actually raise any standards but just a cost cutting exercise by reducing assessors with the respective companies, they can utilize each others resources, and still allow Uncle Tom Cobbly and all in after a 5 minute course and a rub down with the Wiring Matters.

This seems to be aimed at the Domestic market, is there going to be a spill over into other areas.

I know there are many on here that don't agree with me, but why the JIB is not involved in this is beyond me

Unfortunately HT that seems to be the way things are going and they are being left behind, which to my mind is a shame but as I said I'm sure there are others here who don't agree it is a shame.

Having dealt with all the parties that are pimping our industry, I would rather deal with the JIB than any other.

Agree or not, they have a criteria of standards that is not based upon "Give us your money and your one of us, and don't worry about things like competency you can learn that while you go along, and can call our help line"

Having been to Sidcup JIB HQ, I can honestly say that they are a total and utter clown outfit, still stuck in the good ole days of the 60's and 70's and haven't bothered joining us in this centurary!, I love the idea of a proper governing body I really do!, but don't think that they are the people to do it, they can't manage to organise and run their own schemes let alone getting involved in more workload!

And they need to get it out of their head that the be all and end all of a electrician is the NVQ!

I gather HT that you have fell fowl of them.

I'd be the 1st to say that they are not perfect and need to get some of their procedures more in line with today's world, but they still have criteria where other organisations seem to be willing to accept much lower standards just to get their hands on your money.

If I wanted to drive an HGV on the roads I would need to get my licence, it is no good me going to the DVLI and say I've been driving one for years, I have a full licence, I'm capable and I want a HGV licence now, they will say prove it by getting the qualifications

It's the same with them, if you want a gold electrician card you need the NVQ or a completed apprenticeship.

No mate never fell foul of them, Their attitude just annoys me somewhat, they no longer hold the clout they once did, their name is less important than it ever was and the need for a gold card is now lower than ever.

What do they do?.........sit in their ivory tower and watch it fall down round em!.

I'm not suggesting that they need to dumb it down, Christ the industry has had enough of that!!, but the NVQ is not the be all and end all of everything. I mean they don't even take the 2330 into account and that represents 3 years of hard work!!

sorry for inturupting back to electrical safety register,i looked at website and they have columbs for domestic installer and aproved contactor.when i typed in my city i found loads of niceic members listed with nice logos stating domestic and aproved.my company at bottom of page with a tiny logo just stating elecsa.nothing in approved columb this looks crap and like niceic is the only profetional entity out there.if elecsa don't sort this out ime moving and taking my playstation with me!

sorry for inturupting back to electrical safety register,i looked at website and they have columbs for domestic installer and aproved contactor.when i typed in my city i found loads of niceic members listed with nice logos stating domestic and aproved.my company at bottom of page with a tiny logo just stating elecsa.nothing in approved columb this looks crap and like niceic is the only profetional entity out there.if elecsa don't sort this out ime moving and taking my playstation with me!

Elecsa are a part P scheme, as is NICEIC Domestic installer, dont confuse these with an NICEIC Approved Contractor, there's more to electrical work than just house bashing.

The JIB is best kept well out of everything lol

its the only club that you cant buy your way or fast track into , thus the only one that matters.

anyway , nothing will change - the domestic spark will still be fleeced hundreds of £££ a year to fit kitchen sockets , the public will still be utterly confused by the different organisations ,
the NIC will still put profit before anything else , etc , etc , etc. ad infinitum.

Reply to ECA and ESC announce major partnership in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net