Discuss EICR - Anyone local to me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The time has now come to have an EICR on my property.

I moved in two years ago and I have found some things which were obviously dangerous (e.g. bare live wires protruding from bathroom wall where a cabinet had been removed). I have fixed that problem (I used the cable to feed the Mira shower controller via a switched spur, I have an electrical engineering background but no current qualifications or test equipment) but there may be other less obvious examples.

We have had some electrical work done by two electricians (one I had to chase for many months to provide the appropriate certificates) but the time is now right to have the rest of the property checked out. The other electrician (kitchen installation) left a protective cover off the inside of the consumer unit (now refitted).

I still have several concerns about the remaining wiring. For example I don't understand how the garage is connected to the rest of the house. There was an electric car charging point fitted in the garage. There is an SWA cable running from the consumer unit in the house to the garage but there is also a circuit breaker on the consumer unit that controls the garage lights and power sockets. The previous owners had removed the charging socket from the outside of the garage and left the wires outside the garage terminated in a chocolate block connector. I have pulled this cable (2.5 mm I think) back inside the garage and this needs to be properly terminated e.g. on a standard power socket perhaps.

If there are any forum members near me (Great Missenden, HP16 post code) I would like to discuss this further .

Reply to EICR - Anyone local to me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have had my kitchen rewired and plastered. I have had a 6mm t+e on a dedicated 32a circuit for a 60cm electric cooker. In hindsight, had i known...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two questions about domestic wiring In Ireland 1. Should conduit be used when passing multiple T&E cables (2.5mm) through a garage...
Replies
Views
DIYer question. I have a 32 amp supply going from consumer unit in garage to kitchen. It supplies an induction hob only. The cable is easily...
Replies
Views
HI folks, I'm on the management committee of the block of flats where I live. We've got ancient garage electrics and want to rewire. I have a...
Replies
Views
Good day. First time poster. We recently had an electrician perform the EICR, as this is a newly purchased property I thought'd I would have the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock