Search the forum,

Discuss Eicr codes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's fine, however, I phoned the NIC tech line a while back when quoting for an EICR at a school and he recomended that all socket outlets not rcd protected should be a C2

Yes these inspectors like to make up their own rules regarding testing of existing installations, I don,t doubt he did say that fella.

Mike

First off I wont be sued for giving my professional opinion, and im basing it on the old periodic guidance of socket outlets supplying equipment out doors, although I have seen other guidance that call it as "improvement recommended"

I have got bad news for you , you and I are not professionals in the eyes of the law we are tradesmen so now that your feet are back on the ground you cannot issue a C2 for no RCD protection on sockets if the installation complies with the regs. Now you are correct about guidance or a recommendation so all you can do is C3 or in the old PIR C4 but you cannot fail it.

This is the very thing I am going on about were cannot force the customer to upgrade to RCD protection as a previous post says what would you do for a 3036 board we cannot backdate the regs the same as a garage cannot force you to fit airbags because new cars have them but older cars do not . This is not hard be advised that the customer is more savvy than you think thats why when I am asked I am honest and say well you are not legally obliged to change the CU in the property you are renting but it would be advisable to have this done along with mains smoke detectors but at the end of the day it is the owner/landlords shout but there is one thing for sure I am not going to get sued for misrepresentation .

Failing an installation for having no RCD protection to force the customer to put a new CU in is deception and will leave you wide open

Yes these inspectors like to make up their own rules regarding testing of existing installations, I don,t doubt he did say that fella.

Mike

He wasn't an inspector actually, he told me his main business was EICR's but I know what you mean, that's why I find this industry so interesting, so many things are open to peoples interpretation and its interesting how different that can be sometimes

I have got bad news for you , you and I are not professionals in the eyes of the law we are tradesmen so now that your feet are back on the ground you cannot issue a C2 for no RCD protection on sockets if the installation complies with the regs. Now you are correct about guidance or a recommendation so all you can do is C3 or in the old PIR C4 but you cannot fail it.

This is the very thing I am going on about were cannot force the customer to upgrade to RCD protection as a previous post says what would you do for a 3036 board we cannot backdate the regs the same as a garage cannot force you to fit airbags because new cars have them but older cars do not . This is not hard be advised that the customer is more savvy than you think thats why when I am asked I am honest and say well you are not legally obliged to change the CU in the property you are renting but it would be advisable to have this done along with mains smoke detectors but at the end of the day it is the owner/landlords shout but there is one thing for sure I am not going to get sued for misrepresentation .

Failing an installation for having no RCD protection to force the customer to put a new CU in is deception and will leave you wide open
I don't agree with you at all there, I class myself as a professional engineer, an theres no reasonable way I could be sued for my opinion, the electrical safety council best practise guide 3 recommends a C2 code. And im not forcing anyone to upgrade to RCD protection im just telling them the way I see it. Actually, if anything id be more worried about being sued for saying it is satisfactory when the guidance says it isn't. And in regards to smoke detectors, I don't see what that has to do with electrical safety.

I don't agree with you at all there, I class myself as a professional engineer, an theres no reasonable way I could be sued for my opinion, the electrical safety council best practise guide 3 recommends a C2 code. And im not forcing anyone to upgrade to RCD protection im just telling them the way I see it. Actually, if anything id be more worried about being sued for saying it is satisfactory when the guidance says it isn't. And in regards to smoke detectors, I don't see what that has to do with electrical safety.

So it's a 'fail' and that's it, eh?

Sorry but I dont aggree on that one at all.. C2 if meaning a fail.. I fail to see how you can deem every socket without RCD protection a fail..

No it doesn't!

Read it again...only for bath/shower locations.

He wasn't an inspector actually, he told me his main business was EICR's but I know what you mean, that's why I find this industry so interesting, so many things are open to peoples interpretation and its interesting how different that can be sometimes

odawire failing an installation on a C2 for no RCD protection is not an interpretation its is wrong thing is like the traffic warden syndrome some people think they have the power of God they when they issue documentation they must stick to the regs

Odawire read the the mails the majority is saying the same thing and yes you can be sued can I ask if you have professional indemnity insurance ? you may view yourself as a Professional but in the eyes of the law your a Technically Compitent Person or a Tradesman plus the smoke detector reference is the same for rental properties on the grounds of safety it is advisable to put it in but no maditory.

nothing is mandatory is it. if someone doesn't want something done then they wont get it done, but you cant go around failing things that should just be recommendations just to get work!

On another similar topic, what would you give an immersion heater without thermal cut out? C2, C3? Would it be a c2 if it was only form of water heating and c3 if its not used unless boiler packs up?

what do you all think?

and just how the hell is a lack of additional protection by means of RCD a 2 eh?
only if no supplementary bonding is present.....
then the lack of either would be a 2....

Reply to Eicr codes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back