Discuss EICR Unsatisfactory - New Property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is complete nonsense those RCBOs will directly fit that consumer unit. The fact your consumer unit is metal is not Coded in the Report from what I can see, it was a comment.

Just to update, I have now had two different electricans come in for another opinion. Both said that RCBO's would not fit or work with my main consumer unit. One of them said its because my MCU is plastic and not metal. You can't fit RCBO's in plastic main consumer units, only complete metal ones he said. The other electrican just said you can't fit RCBOs in this unit. Both said it would not pass EICR unless I change to new unit. Both recommended BG (British General) MCU.

Last edited:
Both recommended BG (British General) MCU.
That says it all really. Screwfix special. Far lower quality than what you have in my opinion.

Both said it would not pass EICR unless I change to new unit
The EICR is already done. Their job is to address the C2 findings and provide RCD protection as the report required.
You do not need a "passed EICR", you need the report you already have and evidence the issues are resolved.

I'd like to believe there is a sensible honest and pragmatic electrician somewhere in London, and while I understand it must be getting frustrating I'd suggest you keep looking.

Aside from anything else, changing that board is going to create decorative mayhem as it's flush mounted.
Get the model number of your current board and breakers and ring a wholesalers. I bet you'll find rcbos that fit
There are RCBOs that fit.

That says it all really. Screwfix special. Far lower quality than what you have in my opinion.

The EICR is already done. Their job is to address the C2 findings and provide RCD protection as the report required.
You do not need a "passed EICR", you need the report you already have and evidence the issues are resolved.

I'd like to believe there is a sensible honest and pragmatic electrician somewhere in London, and while I understand it must be getting frustrating I'd suggest you keep looking.

Aside from anything else, changing that board is going to create decorative mayhem as it's flush mounted.

There are RCBOs that fit.

Thanks for the reply. But would fitting 4 x RCBO's resolve the C2's that were highlighted in my EICR? Assuming there are RCBO's out there for my unit. I know some have said it is available on here and have been recommended here which differs to what electricans here have told me that it won't work in plastic units.

How would I fit the model number without opening up the whole unit which is screwed in which only a qualified electrican can do? I can't find any printed words on the outside of the unit other than Crabtree Starbreaker.

Thanks for the reply. But would fitting 4 x RCBO's resolve the C2's that were highlighted in my EICR?
Simple answer - yes. @davesparks explains in detail in post #2.
The four C2's are saying that RCD protection is required for a variety of reasons. (Some of them are in fact highly questionable and likely utter rubbish)
If every circuit has RCD protection then that is the remedials dealt with.

Simple answer - yes. @davesparks explains in detail in post #2.
The four C2's are saying that RCD protection is required for a variety of reasons. (Some of them are in fact highly questionable and likely utter rubbish)
If every circuit has RCD protection then that is the remedials dealt with.

Sure but what one of the electricans said to me is its one thing finding one that may fit but RCBOs are absolute pain to install and work with due to high risk of tripping and they simply wouldn't touch RCBOs because they have too many issues down the line.

Sure but what one of the electricans said to me is its one thing finding one that may fit but RCBOs are absolute pain to install and work with due to high risk of tripping and they simply wouldn't touch RCBOs because they have too many issues down the line.
Sorry. They are talking complete rubbish.
What they mean is that it's a higher value job with more profit to change the entire board, and they don't care what is best for you financially, your decorations, or your installation.

RCBOs actually lower the risk of tripping! The regs themselves recommend their use to help limit unwanted tripping.
1693306080650.png

This is awful that so called professional electricians can treat customers like that.

I bet every sparks in the area confer with each other on what to say to people.

I was always told a good EICR inspector needs knowledge, understanding and experience…..
A fresh out-the-college 22 year old, for example, does not have the third part there.

Absolute con artist unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply. But would fitting 4 x RCBO's resolve the C2's that were highlighted in my EICR? Assuming there are RCBO's out there for my unit. I know some have said it is available on here and have been recommended here which differs to what electricans here have told me that it won't work in plastic units.
Because they want to charge you for a full board change and/or are incompetent.
How would I fit the model number without opening up the whole unit which is screwed in which only a qualified electrican can do?
What's given you this idea? Anyone can look inside their unit as long as they follow some basic safety principles like don't touch anything inside.

You don't need to open it up. Starbreaker RCBOs are the only ones that fit, you need the compact version as the taller ones are difficult to fit.

Not only do they fit, these RCBOs are made specifically for that board.

There's only one of two reasons why an "electrician" would claim Starbreaker components won't fit Starbreaker boards and neither are desirable qualities in an electrician: incompetence or dishonesty.

It's pretty (very) odd that 3 electricians have said this, I.e exactly the same thing. I do think it's good to keep an open mind. There is the chance that the OP is missing out some other information, so we're missing the bigger picture.

I know that's sounding a bit airy fairy, but it just seems so odd that 3 electricians have said the same thing.

Because they want to charge you for a full board change and/or are incompetent.

What's given you this idea? Anyone can look inside their unit as long as they follow some basic safety principles like don't touch anything inside.
Blimey, please don't open up your consumer unit @AjayS2367

It's pretty (very) odd that 3 electricians have said this, I.e exactly the same thing. I do think it's good to keep an open mind. There is the chance that the OP is missing out some other information, so we're missing the bigger picture.

I know that's sounding a bit airy fairy, but it just seems so odd that 3 electricians have said the same thing.

Take a look at the regulations quoted by the inspecting electrician, who declined to elaborate on the problems allegedly identified.

For all socket-outlets of rating 32A or less, unless an exception is permitted (411.3.3) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2
For the supply of mobile equipment not exceeding 32A rating for use outdoors (411.3.3) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

From image provided of distribution board, the circuits quoted above both appear to be RCD protected. I don't think any electrician should consider it unreasonable for a customer to ask for clarification of the above comments.

Maybe I'm missing something on the subject of upgrades to existing board, but I'm not aware of any Starbreaker boards that don't use a plug-in live busbar to which RCBOs & AFDDs in current manufacture can not be fitted. If such a board existed, I'm fairly certain @westward10 would have raised that point.

It's quite likely the OP is missing certain information, but that would mostly be due to the fact that the inspector has declined to provide a simple, plain English explanation for coding. Can you imagine taking that stance with one of your customers?

They definately advised me the information as mentioned here. I know it sounds odd but I wouldn't of posted here otherwise. I have spoken to another sparks and he advised it could be done but the circuits need to be tested first as MCBs could trip RCBOs and so circuits definately have to be tested first and then advising if it can be done. I am currently looking into this once he quote for testing.

Regarding opening the MCU, I have opened the outer transparent lid many times but it has no model number specified, I was referring to removing the two screws that hold the front face of the box and whether the model or serial no is inside.

Reply to EICR Unsatisfactory - New Property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net