Discuss RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deanp35

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had an EICR done at my property which unfortunately was unsatisfactory. So the electrican advised a new fuseboard from BG General or Fusebox but he advised there will be alteration to the wall as the unit is flush mount inside wall and the mounting frame is glued in with screws and the unit is sitting around 10-15cm deep inside the wall cavity. Basically it would need to be boarded and the whole unit would be sticking out a fair bit in our lounge he said which I think won't look nice. He also mentioned that RCBOs can sometimes fit inside existing consumer units but he seemed to think may not work as my front cover lid is plastic although the rest of the unit including the flush mounting frame is metal. My unit is a Crabtree Starbreaker which is about 20 years old. He said he will speak to Crabtree Technical Team to see if they still source RCBOs, SPD breaker, new Busbar and a metal cover lid for my unit as he said this is required as otherwise it won't comply with current regulations. He got a response from Crabtree who he said advised him that they do not sell RCBOs, SPD, Busbar and a metal cover lid for my unit as it is very old so this option was ruled out. He advised that Crabtree do not do 14 way busbar anymore its only 9, 12 or 15 way busbar and a 15 way bus bar won't fit inside my unit as mine is 14 way. I left it as that and wanted a 2nd opinion from another electrican. He came in and looked at it and advised RCBOs can fit in the unit and he would use a 15 way bus bar from Crabtree. This was complete contrary to what Crabtree and the 1st electrican advised. He did say that Crabtree Starbreaker RCBOs are very expensive so he would look to use MK RCBOs as they are half the price of Crabtree Starbreaker RCBOs but he said he doesn't mind using Crabtree ones but the price would be higher. He did also say that Crabtree Technical Team will say that parts are not available for older units like mine due to liability reasons and to cover their backside.

Who here is right? Crabtree and the 1st electrican or the 2nd electrican?

I have attached image of my MCU. It measures 365mm length and 220mm height (unit only not the mounting frame). The actual cut out area within the unit where the breakers sit is 235mm length and 45mm height.

If new fuseboard is the only option then I will just get this done but if possible I would rather not disturb the walls if the RCBO method is doable in my unit.

Thanks.

Regards

DeanMCU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. The fusebox mounting kit they advised would require new aperture in the wall I have been informed. It won't go into existing wall aperture as per measurements advised. Presumably the RCBO option is not possible as per Crabtree's advise?

Thanks for the replies. The fusebox mounting kit they advised would require new aperture in the wall I have been informed. It won't go into existing wall aperture as per measurements advised.
Quite likely the apperture is not exactly the right size for a fusebox kit, but surely it can be enlarged a little or closed off a little as needed. I did one 2 weeks ago doing exactly that - sounds like someone doesn't want the bother- perhaps find an electrican who is not looking for excuses not to do it!

Here is my consumer unit and you can see I have old devices like yours and new. The spare way shows where the mcb plugs to the busbar hence they are a unique fit. From my estimation you need a 12 way busbar to fit a row of RCBOs and the neutral bars will need linking, the busbar cannot be cut.
20240404_122445.jpg

Update: I had a electrican come in today to install the RCBOs. The 12 way busbar didn't fit in my current MCU. The RCBOs appear to be ok but the busbar didn't fit. He only had the 12 way crabtree busbar and doesn't think a 15 way crabtree busbar will work as its too long. So the RCBO plan failed. The plan of action is now fusebox MCU with its flushing mounting kit. Costly but its the only option I have been advised.

Update: I had a electrican come in today to install the RCBOs. The 12 way busbar didn't fit in my current MCU. The RCBOs appear to be ok but the busbar didn't fit. He only had the 12 way crabtree busbar and doesn't think a 15 way crabtree busbar will work as its too long. So the RCBO plan failed. The plan of action is now fusebox MCU with its flushing mounting kit. Costly but its the only option I have been advised.

Your image shows a 15 module board. 12 module busbar would be far too short and I can't imagine why an electrician might suggest a 15 module busbar would be too long when that's what is currently fitted in the board.

Crabtree Part No. 9150 for 15 module mainswitch busbar.

If you want to fit a new board, then by all means do so, but it's certainly not the only option. Mathematics is an essential component of training for every electrician, yet you seem to have an electrician who can't even count into double digits!

Your image shows a 15 module board. 12 module busbar would be far too short and I can't imagine why an electrician might suggest a 15 module busbar would be too long when that's what is currently fitted in the board.

Crabtree Part No. 9150 for 15 module mainswitch busbar.

If you want to fit a new board, then by all means do so, but it's certainly not the only option. Mathematics is an essential component of training for every electrician, yet you seem to have an electrician who can't even count into double digits!
I see it as 12 module.

I see it as 12 module.

I'd scrolled up to the attached image and counted 15.

Turns out the image was one you'd posted and not that originally posted by the OP 🤦‍♂️

Apologies to the OP and their electrician!

In old Crabtree catalogues Starbreaker busbars were described in terms of total number of modules wide, although latest catalogue seems to include only modules after mainswitch. Either way it seems Crabtree no longer offer a mainswitch busbar to suit the OP's board.

I only count after the switch mine is actually 13 as the RCD is 3 modules.

I would generally count usable modules, but Crabtree used to disagree. Didn't realise they'd changed this position until today - in fact, looking more closely they now describe it as both 'main switch/rcd + 13 module' and '15 module' on the same page.

1712342944859.png

Last edited:
Westward 10 mentioned 12 way busbar and thats what my electrican thought as well but it didn't fit. 15 way busbar was too big he said. He would not have changed just 4 RCBOS on the left, he said he was going to change to 6 x RCBOs by taking out the two RCDs on the right and the RCCBs so leaving just the main switch as is and 6 x RCBOs as there is a chance of tripping he said if the RCDs were left however the plan didn't work which is a shame as I was hoping to avoid disturbing the walls so next week it will be the Fusebox F2020MX board with the mounting frame installation.

totally agree with westward in post 17, that is exactly what I suggest and it is not a difficult job at all. By the way my DB is similar and I see no need to alter it but if you have to the RCBO way left side is the most sensible

Reply to RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net