Discuss Eicr cooker switch under cupboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all been a while but need advice, done an eicr today found that the cooker switch has been left under the plinth so cable not secure etc, tested at the oven which was fine earth wise, what code would this be regarding access and cable security etc, thanks in advance

The question is whether the cable is likely to be exposed to possible damage? is anything likely to pull on it? in ideal world everything is clipped but think how many cables run in ceilings and floors without clips...
if the T&E is running under the cupboard behind the kickplate i do not see too much of an issue as long as its securely fastened as it enters the switch, also the switch should be readily accessible, that doesn't mean it has to be on display next to the cooker but if i recall its meant to be within 2metres... at worse i would give a C3 but nothing more.

Thanks all for the replys i will inform the landlord tomorrow, and keep you all posted, i understand that an eicr is for safety foremost but sometimes we get situations like this which the regs might not cover specifically

With the modern trend of minimal items on display such as switch fuse spurs cooker switches I know a lot of this goes on. At least I would say the switch should be mounted on the side wall of the cupboard and not the flimsy backing so it is readily accessible cough cough. Who would want to start pulling plinths off to gain access to a switch to isolate a cooker or hob when the chip pan is going up in flames?

Reply to Eicr cooker switch under cupboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net