Discuss EICR weird Hob install - wrong and safe, or wrong and run away screaming? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Second post on an EICR I did today (always a good sign!)

70s flat with earthed conduit and singles. 6mm runs from the CU to presumably where an old cooker switch was - at some point that was tiled over somehow and is now inaccessible - what emerges below the worktop is 2 x 2.5 Twin and Earth - except that there is no earth present (presumably because it wasn't correctly connected before being covered....

There is then a more recent length of 2.5mm flex that provides an earth, which runs from a 6mm earth that emerges under the sink (meant to be bonding conductor I think - though not connected properly).. That earth is continuous back to the CU...

behold: (insulation tape removed for picture...)

IMG_20210608_141805 - Copy.jpg

so 2 x 2.5 Twin bringing Live and Neutral in - connected to 6mm that then feeds a cooker switch to the left in lower cupboard, that then feeds the hob above....

2.5mm earth brought in via the flex - coming from a 6mm bonding cable in adjacent cupboard....

Clearly poor workmanship, bad design, etc etc. and really should be redone - but in this case that is not possible without removing tiling etc.

So in terms of an EICR, is it actually unsafe? (Ignoring containment for now, as it clearly needs to be in a junction box of some sort)

Effectively a lollipop circuit for live conductors - 30A -> 6mm -> 2 x 2.5mm -> 6mm

No issues with over rating in there I can see?

In terms of earth - it goes from 6mm -> 2.5mm, which is what would be provided in a normal 6mm T&E...(albeit the earth is separate from the cable...) So fault protection should be covered, and Zs at the hob is fine...

How would others code this? And if a C2, what would you do for remedials? The only practical option I can see is to run a new cable, which would have to run outside the flat in SWA, then in under the cupboard and connect to the existing 6mm T&E in an adaptable box under the cupboard....

I think I agree that with containment it just about ticks the boxes just in a really horrible way!
C3 if I was in a good mood.
The lack of easy access to isolation without hunting in a cupboard might concern me too.

Assuming it the same one you mentioned last week is it impossible to remove the splash back to access the long lost isolator? It would be nice to connect the cpc, ensure decent maintenance free connections and pull through 6mm....

I think I agree that with containment it just about ticks the boxes just in a really horrible way!
C3 if I was in a good mood.
The lack of easy access to isolation without hunting in a cupboard might concern me too.

Assuming it the same one you mentioned last week is it impossible to remove the splash back to access the long lost isolator? It would be nice to connect the cpc, ensure decent maintenance free connections and pull through 6mm....
I'm starting to feel this is personal or I need to choose better landlords - this is not the same one as last week! This is the one with only conduit earthing. and I think the splashback is glued on to the wall ?

IMG_20210608_141937 - Copy.jpg
Only way of redoing it really is to run a new cable, but that would have to be external - no way I'm drilling through internal concrete walls.....

Reply to EICR weird Hob install - wrong and safe, or wrong and run away screaming? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net