Discuss Elecsa assesment Monday, only registered yesterday!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky83

Hi all,

I have my elecsa assesment on monday morning, i done the registration stuff online yesterday and they called me back a bit later in the day saying they had a free slot on monday morning, as i was a bit on the spot i said yep thats fine.:confused:

Well, hopefully it will be but i was really expecting a good month at least to prepare for it as i know the waiting list from registering to having the site visit is 4 to 6 weeks.

I only have a limited number of jobs that ive done so far as im doing it on days off etc from work, some are commercial jobs and the domestic ones are mainly breakdowns. I have a couple of DB's that i have changed, one in my house which i told the elecsa guy on the phone about as if i cant get the other customers on such short notice it'll pretty much be all i have for him, the elecsa guy spoke to the technical department and they said it should be fine, it better be!

So what im after is advise on what to make sure is spot on.

I have read other peoples requests about advice, like knowing your earthing and testing etc but just wondered if there is anything else thats important to get right as i really dont want to **** this up.

Tea and biscuits might help too i guess!!:)

cheers

shawn

make sure your insurance is up to date ect. also have the books to hand as you are not expected to know everything and they will expect you to look it up if not. by all accounts the guys are nice enough from elecsa and helpful. good luck with it.

Woohoo, nothing like a bit of prep time!!!!!

Get down to WH Smiths and buy a display book with the top loading plastic pockets and file all of your insurance, calibration certs, H&S statement, quals etc in it and a man bag for the books. Keeps it all in one place and gives the first impression of being organised :D

Next practice making tea/coffee!!!!

Ze figures, RCD times, and ring testing questions seem to be the common ones. Dont sweat it, your work will give the assessor more of a feel for how you work and if you dont know the answer to something, at least know where to find it e.g. cutting/drilling joists

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

to be honest (and not to dampen anyone) i find it all a bit of a joke, very very rare they fail anyone unless you are a total clown - its a money thing plain and simple.

know ur tester, ze, zs, difference between pefc, psc etc

safe isolation, earthing arrangements, all paperwork requested by them in place, be confident, dont -------- them and u will be ok! also know rcd tripping times, bonding cable sizes was asked, main tail sizes...........they make u feel at ease, u will be ok im sure!

good luck!:D

Yeah i was lucky getting it booked so soon (well kind of anyway) they had a cancellation, he said if i didnt take it i'd be waiting till at least the middle to end of October. Thought it would be best to take the opportunaty to do it sooner but it has left me mega short of time to prepare.

Thanks all for the advice, i sent the mrs out today buying all the biscuits she could find, thought it best to cover all bases, after all he might be a ginger nut kinda guy!

Fingers crossed it'll go ok, i alway get nervous with this kind of thing. I'll be sure to let you know, BUT if you never see me on here again its because it all went wrong and i have changed my name due to embarresment!:D

I was asked questions on all the other building regs, ie penetration of damp in a drilled wall, where to drill joists, which rooms require extractors, percentage of energy efficient bulbs. Also height of sockets and switches, allowed routing of cables, correct labeling of cables and CU's. I had very little on testing. The biggest thing tho was safe isolation before carrying out anything, 3 times he said ' lets have a look inside'. He did say that the thing that most people get marked down on was a simple PIR inspection sticker on the CU!!

Good luck anyway, like everyone has said they don't want to catch you out but do want your business, so as long as you use your common sense and knowledge, you wont go wrong

As Chiplard said, I was also asked about other parts of the building regs, if you don't know, just tell him you don't know. If he asks you a question and your mind has gone blank ask him if you can look in your OSG, we all have moments. They don't want to fail you.

Good luck

As Chiplard said, I was also asked about other parts of the building regs, if you don't know, just tell him you don't know. If he asks you a question and your mind has gone blank ask him if you can look in your OSG, we all have moments. They don't want to fail you.

Good luck

You will be expected to delve into the books so he can see that you can find the info easily, just tell him dont ask, that you are not sure and will have to look it up. You will have no problems.

Well i had my assesment earlier, it wasnt as bad as i was expecting, no real problems, although he asked me about the instalaltion for extractor fans and the required flow through them per min or something like that. Which i didnt know. Also how many energy saving lights there should be per the number of rooms. Managed to find it in my part p book but really dont get what that has to do with anything.

Oh well, its done now so just need to make sure i polish up on the areas that im a little unsure on.

Happy days! :D

Well i had my assesment earlier, it wasnt as bad as i was expecting, no real problems, although he asked me about the instalaltion for extractor fans and the required flow through them per min or something like that. Which i didnt know. Also how many energy saving lights there should be per the number of rooms. Managed to find it in my part p book but really dont get what that has to do with anything.

Oh well, its done now so just need to make sure i polish up on the areas that im a little unsure on.

I got asked the energy saving lights question - I think it has something to do with the Part L building regs on Conservation of fuel - which is encompassed by us Sparkies.

Where about are you in the country that was a fast assesment date.

hi mate
congrats on your assessment i too wish to register with elecsa
what jobs did you show him and for the ccu change did you notify labc first or are you doing it through elecsa cheers

I got asked the energy saving lights question - I think it has something to do with the Part L building regs on Conservation of fuel - which is encompassed by us Sparkies.

Where about are you in the country that was a fast assesment date.

Hi, Im in West Sussex, the guy i spoke to when booking said i'd have to wait till the middle/end of October, which was a long wait so although i was a fair bit under prepared i decided to go for it even with only a few days notice but luckily it paid of.

hi mate
congrats on your assessment i too wish to register with elecsa
what jobs did you show him and for the ccu change did you notify labc first or are you doing it through elecsa cheers

I only had the one job for him to look at, as it was a CU change he was more then happy with that. No i hadnt informed the LABC first, i only did the board end of last week ready for my assesment so once i get my docs come through from elecsa i can register it.

nice one bud......welcome aboard!

:D

cheers sparky83
thats the way a few have told me to do it i am going to use a ccu change at my bruvs as my main job so thanks for advice matey i had been waiting for my 2391 results which i got told i had passed today so elecsa registration next step will give them a ring and then do job before my assessment thanks mate for reply

cheers sparky83
thats the way a few have told me to do it i am going to use a ccu change at my bruvs as my main job so thanks for advice matey i had been waiting for my 2391 results which i got told i had passed today so elecsa registration next step will give them a ring and then do job before my assessment thanks mate for reply

No probs mate, well done on the 2391 by the way.

I had 2 lined up, but as my first was a new CU thats all he wanted. Just hammered me on the theory side instead.

Yeah i know the feeling, we were there for just over 3hrs! I even had to make him 2 cups of tea!:eek:

Refused when I offered a brew. Couldn't believe it!

:eek: Blimey, he had only been in the door a min and i offered a tea or coffee and he nearly bit my arm off!

what other things did he ask to see like
liability insurance etc
if ya can give me a heads up mate would be a big help cheers

He asked to see i had the Electricity at work act, Part P docs, Liabiltiy Ins cert, Customer complaints form, Risk assesments, OSG + Regs book, certs from previous jobs a basic health and safety document. Think that was most of it?? I put it all into a folder like someone on here suggested (thanks for that) to make it look like i was organised!

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers mate
i have all the required books etc but dont have certs from previous jobs as this will be first i have done and certificated as i am not in the game at the mo i am a full time carer at minute for mrs
so i will get the pli sorted and sort the risk assesment and complaints procedure, health and safety doc etc so thats something i can try to get sorted first

Make sure you got the regs, onsite guide,electricians guide to the building regs ,memorandum of guidance of the electricity at work regs ,insurance ,calibration ,one thing ive been asked is where to cut holes in a joist ,so have a look at that one too the only thing i disagree with what the other guys have said is the biscuits its got to be a kit kat chucky ,well done on your 2391 last company i worked for 20 lads went for it and 20 failed you did well and good luck on monday:)

Make sure you got the regs, onsite guide,electricians guide to the building regs ,memorandum of guidance of the electricity at work regs ,insurance ,calibration ,one thing ive been asked is where to cut holes in a joist ,so have a look at that one too the only thing i disagree with what the other guys have said is the biscuits its got to be a kit kat chucky ,well done on your 2391 last company i worked for 20 lads went for it and 20 failed you did well and good luck on monday:)
hi mate was this post meant for me
If so then i have all the above required books, i dont have PLI yet
I have a megger 1552 which came with a calibration certificate. i recieved this as part of a course i did last august it has not been used but the calibration certificate was dated last january . When regstering this with MEGGER I asked them about this and they said the calibration certificate only starts the first time you use it which is the date of commission and this then is filled in with the date of first use
What do you reckon mate i should ask Elecsa about this as i havent used it yet do you think I will have to send it for the calibration to be checked?

and on the 2391 what a relief thought the result was never coming and fearing the worst so still grinning now so cheers if this post was for me

as for the assesment with elecsa its not me who had the assesment on monday it was SPARKY83 and I think he passed

look up constructaquote for PLI. got mine through them with Aviva...............2 Million cover..............all for................wait for it.....................£54.03 per year!. have a look.

:D

hi mate was this post meant for me
If so then i have all the above required books, i dont have PLI yet
I have a megger 1552 which came with a calibration certificate. i recieved this as part of a course i did last august it has not been used but the calibration certificate was dated last january . When regstering this with MEGGER I asked them about this and they said the calibration certificate only starts the first time you use it which is the date of commission and this then is filled in with the date of first use
What do you reckon mate i should ask Elecsa about this as i havent used it yet do you think I will have to send it for the calibration to be checked?

and on the 2391 what a relief thought the result was never coming and fearing the worst so still grinning now so cheers if this post was for me

as for the assesment with elecsa its not me who had the assesment on monday it was SPARKY83 and I think he passed

yes my friend it was for you ,what you need to do with your megger is to get a Cali box then record all your resualts ,just to show your checking your test kit then calibrate every 12 months just to be sure it costs £60 ish quid , as fpr the PLI get it as soon as you can its the most important spend youll ever make

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers nickblake
i wasnt sure wether the other post was for me so cheers for replying
which calibox is a good one. I was told to get a CALCARD and check rcd and ZS on a socket but as my house is all RCD protected i wouldnt be able to check the full zs test as it would trip the rcd so I think the checkbox would be better
The calibration cert that came with MEGGER i got last August is dated jan 2009 and after registering it they said the calibration cert only starts the date of first use and then put the date in the commission box and its 12 months from then, but i will check with elecsa as i dont want a cal cert to be the reason for not passing eh mate so i will check first
as for the PLI i will get that first before I do the job at our kids and before registering with elecsa
I need to sort risk assesment, health and safety file, complaints procedure etc etc ??? anything else you can clue me up on would be great help cheers mate

this is the one i use then i do rcd an Zs tests at a socket in my house ,all sheets ie risk assesment etc as has been said you can get from elecsa even better go to the hsc web site and down load a risk assesmet

cheers mate
so do you use a calcard for checking calibration and is the socket you use rcd protected, for the zs does your tester not have to be checked on the no trip function as well as the full zs as doing a full zs test on a rcd protected it will trip the rcd so cant be checked unless socket is not rcd protected sorry for confusion mate just trying to understand the process
also is it ok to use a fluke t-5 1000 for a voltage indicator and do i need a proving unit for the assessment would i also be asked to carry out safe isolation and use a lock off kit or is this not necessarry as you are working in the area?? cheers

hi fellow sparks
showed the assessor a con board change with a kitchen up grade on the sockets i,e moved the cooker switch out to the reg zone (30cm) from the egde of the cooker,did a few tests i,e Zs and Ze.he did ask quite alot of questions on regs but having done my 17th helpted plus im doing tests and board changing all the time so there you have it ,Good luck to you all that are thinking of doing it

Got my welcome pack today, very speedy turn around considering some people seem to be waiting ages to get there stuff.

Quick question tho, i just tried to log into the website with the username and password provided but it says my account is currently disabled. Anyone else have this issue? It says call the number given but only in office hours so i'll call tommorrow but just wondered if its just me of if this is normal?

[what you need to do with your megger is to get a Cali box then record all your resualts ,just to show your checking your test kit then calibrate every 12 months just to be sure it costs £60 ish [/QUOTE]

I am under the impression that if you check your calibration every month and record the results you will only need to have your meter calibrated every three years. I don't know if you get the same three years for the check box or if that remains annual?

I got the socket & see CB200 from that online site with a name like siswww (can't remember exactly, but it will be easy to find, just google the check box or any of the popular meter brands like Fluke/Meggar. They are actually part of Edmundson) The CB200 cost me around £80 delivered, which I think is a very good price and it will do everything you need for a typical multifunction tester. The only problem is it will trip the rcd when checking the rcd tests (and high current loop test) so you will need to install a non-rcd socket next to your consumer unit and label it 'TESTER ONLY'

If you really don't have a non-rcd protected way on your consumer unit then maybe the more expensive check boxes will deal with this problem: I don't know.

I got the socket & see CB200 from that online site with a name like siswww (can't remember exactly, but it will be easy to find, just google the check box or any of the popular meter brands like Fluke/Meggar. They are actually part of Edmundson) The CB200 cost me around £80 delivered, which I think is a very good price and it will do everything you need for a typical multifunction tester. The only problem is it will trip the rcd when checking the rcd tests (and high current loop test) so you will need to install a non-rcd socket next to your consumer unit and label it 'TESTER ONLY'

If you really don't have a non-rcd protected way on your consumer unit then maybe the more expensive check boxes will deal with this problem: I don't know.[/QUOTE

cheers mate
i know the site you mean
my consumer unit is fully protected and there are no spare unprotected ways so i will probably have to get the more expensive one i will see what elecsa say thanks for replies

should i get a filing system e.g. for certs, H&S file, risk assesment etc so it loks more organized also is it ok to use a fluke T5 -1000 as my voltage indicator ?? gs38 says its better to use one without multifunction dial as the t5 has? and is it better to use a proving uni rather than a known supply? for assessment cheers

Last edited:
Well done Sparky83!

I joined ELECSA about 3 months ago. They too phoned me and said I could be assessed the next week! I had to put them off so I could get all the prep work done, but it was only 3 weeks later when the assessor came out though. Yes I had the energy saving lamps question too! (Had to look it up in the Part P Guide!!) The assessor was fine about it though.

Can't remember having any probs loging into me account with them Like. Give them a call, I've found them very helpful!

Brucelee, have a look at the "CalCard" in the ELECSA Shop. A handy 'quick check' for your tester!

Reply to Elecsa assesment Monday, only registered yesterday!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net