Discuss Elecsa Question in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

I would like to join Elecsa to enable me to complete domestic work.

I work as a maintenance engineer in a factory and as such only really work on installs, addition and maintenance in the factory.

Could my assessment be done on a job at work, the order for the works comes on a standard form from the Chief Engineer and I get on with the work set and scheduled.

Do you think this is enough to show the assessor my competence?

Most of my jobs are adding new circuits to boards that are placed around the factory.

could you not do a couple of domestic jobs for assessment, maybe for family/friends, or even at home ( new CU maybe )

I could do and that my last resort, but I do have everything at work that should meet the requirements.

Its easier for me this way if they would accept it.

Give them a ring as they are very helpful and ask to speak with one of he assessors who will give you a definate answer.

Good luck and best of luck for the future.

Just seen an advert for another new scheme in the paper, says ECA be a trusted Electrician :eek:

So thats

NICEIC
NAPIT
SELECT
ELECSA
ECS
ECA
ESC (Electrical safety council)
UK ISO Standards
Safe Trader Scheme UK

on top of the need for

17th edition
2377-11
2377-12
2391-10
2391-20
IPAF
PASMA
First Aid
Abrasive wheels
Confined space ticket
Asbestos Ticket
CRB certificate

AND all the new schemes being dreamed up/set up by the Local councils in just about every city in the UK...

when we have agencies advertising jobs at just above the minimum wage with the need for own "modern recent unliveried clean presentable" vehicle, own tools, own testers and membership of a number of schemes and such like, with no mention of travel time, fuel costs or insurance re-imbursement....and they mention stays away, when you ask about the costs for the overnight stays away and the huge distances to be driven that "will be expected as part of the job description" you are met with an awkward silence...

Membership of two different schemes would cost maybe 1,000 pounds per year plus a lot of paperwork and drop-ins by "inspectors/examiners" which have to be paid for as well...

Tickets/Training- most of these (3 and 5 day ones) are between six hundred and a thousand pounds....so there you go you have to pay 3 or 4 thousand pounds a year out of your own pocket just to remain "appealing" to the agencies and even then they still try to pay you cleaners rates...

I have even seen one agency advertising for jobs and stating that "you will be obliged to submit to a medical examination (allow 1 full day) and a DNA Sample which will be held by us for our records"

I mean come on......when are we going to turn the tables on the people who are abusing us......you only live once and these agencies are wasting years of our time so that they can fill their wallets and retire well-off somewhere warm, we should all just start our own small businesses instead of working to make somebody else sitting in a nice office money...

What's up Grant, wrong side of the bed this morning? :)

BTW I agree with you. Years of training, thousands of pounds, loads more money on tools and schemes just for a few quid more per hour than an unskilled job that anyone could do. Eg, picking up a phone and saying "yes, we can provide an experienced electrician for a short term contract. That will be £28 ph." Next phone call to the spark. "ive got you a job! Use your own tools, van, travel 1+1/2 hours to and from site and it pays £10 ph but we charge £25 pw to pay it to you!" I mean anyone can do that job can't they.

(sorry, I got out of the wrong bed, the wife was in it)

paul, you ain't got her trained proper. she should have got out first, made the tea/coffee/ toast

What's up Grant, wrong side of the bed this morning? :)

BTW I agree with you. Years of training, thousands of pounds, loads more money on tools and schemes just for a few quid more per hour than an unskilled job that anyone could do. Eg, picking up a phone and saying "yes, we can provide an experienced electrician for a short term contract. That will be £28 ph." Next phone call to the spark. "ive got you a job! Use your own tools, van, travel 1+1/2 hours to and from site and it pays £10 ph but we charge £25 pw to pay it to you!" I mean anyone can do that job can't they.

(sorry, I got out of the wrong bed, the wife was in it)

Thats just exactly what the agencies do, and I know they sleaze over this website to be nosey but I dont give a stuff....
Wait until you get offered a job as a "Labourer" but to do sparks work.....they're up to that as well now...

Reply to Elecsa Question in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net