Discuss Electric Cables on top of bedroom floor joists, touching central heating pipes. Safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Electric Cables on top of bedroom floor joists, touching central heating pipes. S

sounds like bone idleness coupled with incompetence.

Re: Electric Cables on top of bedroom floor joists, touching central heating pipes. S

i dont agree with laying cables in notched joists, but unless we have a clear picture you dont know what the spark was up against the op mentions laminate flooring too.

Im not sure what to make of this post?

An electrician registered with Elecsa rewired a domestic property and ran brand new cabling directly alongside central heating pipes? Apart from the obvious regulation regarding detrimental influences on an electrical installation, the cables will be derated by about 100% when the central heating system is running.

In addition to these problems there are existing drilled holes in the floor joists from where the original cabling was sited?

Is it me?????

Dichroic

One thought, are these cables the old cables that the electrician just did not take out? Worth thinking about before you have a rant at him. I would hate you to have egg on your face, the boards in question may have been left lose by the plumber years ago and the electrician may not have had those boards up at all!

One thought, are these cables the old cables that the electrician just did not take out? Worth thinking about before you have a rant at him. I would hate you to have egg on your face, the boards in question may have been left lose by the plumber years ago and the electrician may not have had those boards up at all!
Been there before, it seems plumbers like to tear boards up and never refix them.. we come in, run some cables and it doesnt matter what boards we lifted and refixed, we are to blame for the lot..
Someone needs to teach plumbers to lift boards without tearing them to bits..
saying that, running any cable in a joist notch is p i ss poor practice. and if they are running next to pipes then im sure that he hasent taken into account cables being subject to external influances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like he just couldn't be bothered to thread the cables through the original holes and just thought that it would be far easier to lay them in existing pipe notches. I'm assuming he took the old cable out for the scrap value?
Do not do anything yourself. You have paid a professional to do the work and it is up to him to make sure it is left in a compliant condition which satisfies your original agreement.
It is important that all "talks" remain calm and civilised. Give him every opportunity to put the work right before you get too stressed :)

Have you actualy paid in full for this work or have you still got some to pay?

You are sure the cables you can see are the new cables and not old cables that simply haven't been removed?

Assuming they are new, then that's just pants. Contravens a number of regulations.

are you sure it was a spark who did this and not a retrained plumber? awww can't have been. the floorboards are still useable.

Maybe you could tell us what area you live. Someone here may know who his ELECSA assessor is.

I know that in my early days, my ELECSA assessor questioned me at length on my knowledge of the building regs, especially part A. As well as acceptable zones etc etc. I showed him a rewire for my second asessment and he was quite thorough. So I would suspect that this is deliberately sloppy workmanship rather than a lack of knowledge.

Maybe you could tell us what area you live. Someone here may know who his ELECSA assessor is.

I know that in my early days, my ELECSA assessor questioned me at length on my knowledge of the building regs, especially part A. As well as acceptable zones etc etc. I showed him a rewire for my second asessment and he was quite thorough. So I would suspect that this is deliberately sloppy workmanship rather than a lack of knowledge.
yeah, but that was then. nowadays with these scams, if you know brown from blue, you're in , as long as the ÂŁ500 is paid.

Reply to Electric Cables on top of bedroom floor joists, touching central heating pipes. Safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net