Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Electric car chargers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

I know nothing about electric car chargers so was wondering if anyone can answer my question.

I see that some of the new service station electric chargers at rated at 150kw.
    How do they wire that up to get so much power to the car? Is the cable supplying the charger underground absolutely massive?Is is 3 phase to even the load?

I know that a 10.5 kw shower in a domestic would need at least 10mm cable so I cannot get my head around how they supply 10 times that.I would have thought that to get 150kw you would have to go back to the national grid to tap into that sort of power.

If anyone can enlighten me I would be most appreciated.

2. Zdb

Zdb 0.00000000000000001Ω

I would imagine that its three phase

• Like Like x 1
  3. DAvid Prosser

DAvid Prosser Electrician's Arms

The three phase chargers we have installed are 2x11KW (that's two 11KW outlets from one device), I've never seen anything 150 KW. Even at 3 phase that would be 375 A.

4. multimick

multimick Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    lathom electrical
    probably a typo and it's 15 KW

5. Zerax

Zerax Regular EF Member

I thought so too... but no, alot of websites talk of 150kW super fast chargers ! I'm intrigued too...

6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    a lot of these superchargers take ac and turn it into dc so can get confusing.
    i know the superfast quick charger from ev box uses a 77 amp ac 3 phase supply and can put out 120a dc. thing is too much fast charging at mode4 via these dc fast chargers has been shown to degrade the battery cells. they are getting better but its still early days in the history of car batteries.
    The data sheet is below.

Attached Files: