Discuss Electric towel rail element? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, have been asked to install an electric towel rail, when I looked at it it appears to be a "plumbed" towel rail, just two opening each side for central heating pipes. I have looked on line and seen you can buy the heating elements to screw in, is it just a matter of filling with water and capping the other end off, someone else said you don need to fill with water, any help is appreciated, thanks. Just to confirm, it is not to be connected to the central heating, electrical only.

Last edited:
Most towel rads are able to be fitted for either CH or electric elements. They are usually filled with water and scale inhibitor added, or an oil (what type I'm not sure)

Who told you not to fill it ? Would he boil a dry kettle ?

Most towel rads are able to be fitted for either CH or electric elements. They are usually filled with water and scale inhibitor added, or an oil (what type I'm not sure)

Who told you not to fill it ? Would he boil a dry kettle ?

It was the site foreman, it didn't sound right that's why I asked, only ever used the ones that turn up ready to be wired in, thanks for the reply

Adaptors are available to fit the electric element to a standard heated towel rail as connected to the central heating and you have the best of both worlds - use the electric element in the summer time and run it off the central heating in winter.

Some of the electric elements have a thermostat built in so you can adjust the temperature.

There was a thread on here a while ago (this year certainly) and links were posted there to the adaptors etc you need for the job.

Yea, to be fair, he said he wasn't sure but he thought that's how it worked, suppose its not his job to know everything.

Haha .. I thought these people DID know every thing!! ;)

But it would be exactly like boiling the kettle dry - within a few seconds the overheat protection would kick in and switch it of, but if it didn't within minutes the element would be ruined.

Try a site search on here and see what turns up. As I said, there was a long very detailed thread on this subject that will tell you all you need to know.

Haha .. I thought these people DID know every thing!! ;)

But it would be exactly like boiling the kettle dry - within a few seconds the overheat protection would kick in and switch it of, but if it didn't within minutes the element would be ruined.

Try a site search on here and see what turns up. As I said, there was a long very detailed thread on this subject that will tell you all you need to know.

Thanks I think I got it, wire the element in one side, fill with water + inhib, plug the otherside, bobs ur uncle, like I said, its not attached to the central heating so wont need a "duel fuel" adaptor.

Thanks I think I got it, wire the element in one side, fill with water + inhib, plug the otherside, bobs ur uncle, like I said, its not attached to the central heating so wont need a "duel fuel" adaptor.

Ok .... if this is just going to be used as an electric towel rail, do NOT fill it completely with water - leave a space of about one inch between the top of the water & top of the towel rail for expansion.

That gap is full of air and air can be compressed so when the water heats & expands, it will compress that air cushion & all will be well.

If you fill it completely with water, that air cushion isn't there and when the water expands it has nowhere to go and will try to burst the towel rail and then you have a problem!

Ok .... if this is just going to be used as an electric towel rail, do NOT fill it completely with water - leave a space of about one inch between the top of the water & top of the towel rail for expansion.

That gap is full of air and air can be compressed so when the water heats & expands, it will compress that air cushion & all will be well.

If you fill it completely with water, that air cushion isn't there and when the water expands it has nowhere to go and will try to burst the towel rail and then you have a problem!

Thanks, that's just the kind of advice I needed

One final thought:

Don't ever think that one of these heated towel rails will heat a bathroom - it won't. It was never designed for that it just warms towels and nothing else !!

One final thought:

Don't ever think that one of these heated towel rails will heat a bathroom - it won't. It was never designed for that it just warms towels and nothing else !!

I've installed one of the Rointe heated rails that does exactly just that! It's lovely and toasty (admittedly it wasn't the biggest of bathrooms!).

Reply to Electric towel rail element? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net