Discuss Electrical Cable, Buying And Testing..Does Anybody Else... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
Test the rolls of cable before they use them?

It all started a good few years ago now when I ran some lighting cable and the electrician came in to connect it up on the first house I had purchased in 1986.

The cable had a short in it and I then spent the next few hours having to run it all again through some very awkward loft spaces!
It happened once more a couple of years later on some 2.5mm cable so I do a quick test on any cable I buy now! Takes 2 minutes and gives me piece of mind potentially saving a lot of time in case of an unseen fault in the cable.

They say things come in 3's, watch it happen again to me now I've said this :laughing:

While the cable is new, and still on a drum... the end is usually caught up on the inner metal part of the drum... possibly touching the copper cores. If you're testing it on the drum, it probably will show up a fault.

I cant see how new T&E can short out unless there's physical damage to the cable, which will be on the first few turns on the drum, maybe 3m in?

I mustn't have experienced it myself.

Now, being rough during installation can cause all sorts of damage to the cable.

I only test swa on drum prior to install (shortly after delivery), long runs only and larger cables only. One thing i would recommend is to discharge the cable after IR, i did not do this and when i came back a day later it was still charged up and gave me a bit of a surprise when i touched it...... o_O

Hi - Anything going underground gets inspected and tested prior to installation, but I’m not so vigilant with branded T&E cables. Probably going to be my turn soon...
I've never tested any t+e before installing. Waste of time in my opinion. I do however also test anything going underground also

I have had t&e in the distant past that was faulty from the manufacturer, and not cheap rubbish it was good branded cable, luckily it felt strange, not quite right as I pulled it in, the cpc had somehow crossed the neutral for about 2 meters then crossed back causing 2 faults. It was a lucky spot as would of caused headaches on final testing.
I do find most drums of t&e have the central end exposed these days so can be tested while still on the drum. I check them before use since then it only takes 2mins and saves a multitude of issues!

Reply to Electrical Cable, Buying And Testing..Does Anybody Else... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net