Discuss Electrical certificate for own house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

al cw

-
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I was wandering were I stand with an electrical certificate. I am a qualified electrician and have just finished doing work on my own house.
rewired new kitchen new power and lights in the garage and a few new sockets on radials. have also put in downlights in kitchen as well and power for duel fuel towel rail.
I left the company I was with before the work was completed but now it is I was wandering on how to get a certificate. the whole house has been tested by myself and all the results are as they should be. I know I need a cert for insurance purposes as there is some new wiring but as an electrician myself can I certify my own work on a test paper. the company I use to work for had there own QS therefore there was no need for me to be signed up to Napit or NICEIC.

of course you can certify it. but you'd have a problem if you wanted to notify to BC.if any of the work is notifiable , that is.

When you are certificating a job you are forwarding information to the specific governing body to then be compiled and forwarded to building control. A certificate is then generated.
Just simply signing a certificate isn't going to notify them obviously. You'll either have to pay the BC direct or get someone to certificate it for you.

All the work has been signed off by BC. I think I was looking for the certificate for my own records really. not that we are selling the house but just in case years down the line we do.

then you're laughing. there's no regulation in BS7671 that precludes you from providing a cert. for work done in your own house.

if you had separate business premises, there would be no connection.

i do the certs for home and our caravan for insurance reasons: never had any problems.

the number of electricians that have been prosecuted for failing to notify BC is ...

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
NIL.

Draw your own conclusions.

That' not quite true, and more people get prosecuted for failing to pay there library fines, but there have been prosecutions for failing to comply with Part P regs.

only when there has been a safety issue and authorities have been involved.

only when there has been a safety issue and authorities have been involved.

Failing to notify, is not like getting caught speeding by camera, slam dunken & shelling peas. BC don't have the resources to go out catching 'offenders', but when it does go Pete Tong, you can guarantee a prosecution.

If you have been issued with a Building Notice Completion Certificate then that covers all the work, including the electrics. That's all you need. Anyone doing a search for a future purchase of your property would note that in Planning and BC records. I've never known insurance companies require it for domestic property but if they do then that should suffice.

However, and please read this as a general comment on BC and not in any way on your integrity, if this work has been signed off in accordance with Part P then there should be a BS7671 certificate to go with it. And you should have a copy of it. As you say you have done the work yourself and haven't completed a certificate then building control have signed it off without seeing it.

It could be a genuine mistake. Maybe your builders are able to self certify and BC think they did the electrics? Or maybe as long as you have paid your extortionate BC fees they don't care. Who knows.

If I was you I would say nothing for fear of opening a messy "can of worms".

When we reburbished our house , I did all the wiring and did notify the rewire - because BCO needed part p for our completion certificate...

And there is always some smart arse solicitor asking for 'certificates' when you come to sell your house, and if you make some sort of insurance claim, they'll do everything in their power not to cough up.

OP why don't you just complete a certificate yourself?

Thanks all for your comments. There seem to be some confusion with what is excepted and what is not. Maybe for peace of mind I'll just get tested what new eletrical work iv Installed myself. At least Iv coved myself just incase anyone what's certificates.

Devonchris. BC has issued me a completion certificate but this has only been for the garage that we built on the side of the house. I don't belive it covers the electrics iv done.

Afternoon all,
I was wandering were I stand with an electrical certificate. I am a qualified electrician and have just finished doing work on my own house.
rewired new kitchen new power and lights in the garage and a few new sockets on radials. have also put in downlights in kitchen as well and power for duel fuel towel rail.
I left the company I was with before the work was completed but now it is I was wandering on how to get a certificate. the whole house has been tested by myself and all the results are as they should be. I know I need a cert for insurance purposes as there is some new wiring but as an electrician myself can I certify my own work on a test paper. the company I use to work for had there own QS therefore there was no need for me to be signed up to Napit or NICEIC.

Hi hope the job went well . If you are confident in your work and your figure all are compliant with 7671 , you could enter the data on niceic green certs and get another domestic job under way and use the green certs again , you could consider making application to the nic and use the jobs to get part P registration. Have you got BS7671 and check your figure against the requirements. Good luck

Reply to Electrical certificate for own house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net