Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Electrical Estimating/Tendering in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Neil Dodd

Neil Dodd New EF Member

Business Name:
    M D Installations
    Hi All,

New member here trying to pick you're brains if possible.

Ive been in a position of pricing jobs for around a year or so now and would like to see how my fellow electricians compile there tenders when bid for the larger scale jobs for maim contractors.

At present i have always done it the same way which is how my boss has showed me by costing materials and marking them up by around 20% and then apply the labour charge rate (what we charge the client).

However, after talking with the md of a building firm we work with he has informed me of how he costs jobs, by pricing materials and labour at cost (what he pays) and then putting a percentage on top to cover overheads and profits.

My question is, are these the only ways to price a job and if we base it on the second theory how do you work out a percentage to cover overheads and profits per job when you never know how many jobs you will win thus taking the percentage higher or lower.

I hope my query is understandable! Thank you for you're time.

Nod

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

You can only use either method if you know your overheads ...... and work backwards from there ....

3. Neil Dodd

Neil Dodd New EF Member

Business Name:
    M D Installations
    Hi Murdoch

Thanks for the reply. Can you give me som guidance on how i would go about finding all overheads?

Nod

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Ask the company accounts department ......

5. Jason Philip

Jason Philip Active EF Member

I use a general rule of work out materials and labour cost, then add 10% for overheads, then mark up that by 10%, so your final figure will be 121% of time and labour cost. Our labour rate is higher than what we pay, so extra profit there serves as a contingency for people dragging their feet.... And if you want to go more competitive you can pass on your materials discounts. How to you work out time taken? For example I use Trimble software to input everything from database.

TL;DR: basically just add 21% to cost, and that will cover overheads and markup.