Discuss Electrical Hob and oven dual outlet faceplate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

King84

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
There is something that confuses me so I hope someone could answer.

There is an electrical Hob which is 7.8KW and electrical oven which is lets say manufacture instruction says 13A so somwhere around 2.0KWs.

If you apply diversity on Hob it comes to somwhere around 17A and I know usually you use 32A MCB with 6mm cable to make it future proof.
Now Oven as its 13A many people yet wire it in a ring but what confuses me if you wire Oven with same MCB as Hob in the dual connection cooker unit then as oven is has a design current of 13A which is less than Nomimal current of 32A MCB but Iz for the oven is 2.5mm which can take around 20A so this makes IZ less than In which should not be the case.
I know as Oven does not overload so this is fine but in a faulty condition if Oven is wired in the same connection unit as Hob as Hob is 6mm it should be ok for the Hob but Oven with 2.5mm wouldnt it burn if fault occurs?

Are you talking about the cable or the stuff in the oven. If you have a heat rated cable then it would not.
No I am talking about the cable. I know you are meant to follow the manufactures instructions and all that but generally even if it is a heat resistant cable but inserting 2.5mm cable into the same FCU as cooker which is fed from 32A MCB makes the current carrying capacity of the cable smaller then the (In) nominal current which is 32A so in a faulty scenario wouldnt it catches fire as 6mm of hob would still be fine.

If your going to work the calculation out don’t miss anything out for e.g does the cooker switch have a socket outlet if so it works out after diversity at 17.82amps without socket outlet 22.82amps the length of cable run needs to be applied this circuit would be a radial, 6mm would suffice with oven and hob connected to cooker connection unit makes sure it is RCD protected

If your going to work the calculation out don’t miss anything out for e.g does the cooker switch have a socket outlet if so it works out after diversity at 17.82amps without socket outlet 22.82amps the length of cable run needs to be applied this circuit would be a radial, 6mm would suffice with oven and hob connected to cooker connection unit makes sure it is RCD protected
I am not worried about socket or hob as I know they are pretty good considering the situation but what confuses mean as I have seen plenty of ovens are also hardwired into the same cooker connection unit . so I was referring to oven's 2.5mm cable into 32A MCB would make the Iz smaller then In.

I think what he is getting at is omission of devices for protection against overload.
As it is a fixed load, it is reasonable to expect the 2.5 for the oven to not be overloaded (13a). But it must be protected against fault current.
So you would need to ensure that the 2.5 would take the fault current and the duration of the fault and not become damaged.
But to be honest if it came with a plug fitted by the manufacturer, I would be looking at ways to incorporate a socket fir it.

Reply to Electrical Hob and oven dual outlet faceplate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net