Discuss Electrical Improvers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Probably been covered 1mil times but not finding what I'm looking for in the search bar.

So, how much solo work should an electrical Improver (£2 over min wage) be doing?
Would you have them doing problem solving, project managing, circuit designing, dB changes including supply isolation, fault finds, dealing with customers direct, supervising other electrical Improvers?

Or if the electrical Improver is more than capable of doing all of the above, should they get paid a lot more for doing so?

Generally in my experience, electrical improvers wages have a fairly low ceiling as they are exactly that, an improver. Personally (although I don't work with improvers or apprentices) I would have you doing most of but not all of the above things under supervision as realistically the more competent you become in different areas the more valuable you will be in the future. The only exception being project managing. Don't get into the mindset that you are worth a fortune before you are, I've seen it happen to many people and it generally doesn't end well

Generally in my experience, electrical improvers wages have a fairly low ceiling as they are exactly that, an improver. Personally (although I don't work with improvers or apprentices) I would have you doing most of but not all of the above things under supervision as realistically the more competent you become in different areas the more valuable you will be in the future. The only exception being project managing. Don't get into the mindset that you are worth a fortune before you are, I've seen it happen to many people and it generally doesn't end well

My take was that the OP is an employer asking about level of remuneration for improvers, dependant upon ability. I might have the wrong end of this particular stick, but would suggest one factor in determining rates of pay would be whether or not the company hopes to retain particular employees once they qualify.

I think the answer is subjective... it depends on the individual involved. Some 'Improvers' are far more capable than others and over time, you build a level of trust in them. You get to know what they can and can't do. You also know the ones who you trust to stop and ask rather than carry on regardless... My own personal style is to allow everyone to do as much as they want to do... to encourage, to nurture, to empower... but not everyone wants this.

@nicebutdim you could be right I may have picked this up entirely wrong I thought the OP was an electrical improver complaining about their workload. In that case then it is a case of what your staff are worth and if you have an improver capable of doing all these things then how much your willing to pay to retain them. Good staff can be hard to replace, I've seen people leave the company I work for after 15 years and then 5 or 6 people take the role and leave before they get someone suited again.

@nicebutdim @MJPD29 you're both right and wrong 😂
As an employer would you expect an Improver to do all the above for a wage matching a shelf filler at aldi and as an employee, should you be doing all of the above, when you could be shelf filling at aldi.

But I see the so far the concensus is, if they are able, let them, but expect to pay a decent wage to keep them.

Reply to Electrical Improvers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net