Discuss Electrical incomer too old? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

toasterman

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies if I'm breaking a million rules by posting (and registering here) as I'm not an electrician, but I had a question about the safety/age of something electrical.

I have just recently bought a house, and the survey flagged up possible electrical issues. We had a local electrician survey the safety of it, and he said the wiring was ok as far as he could tell, but the consumer unit needed replacing. This was replaced by the sellers before we moved in, and retested by our same electrician, as ok.
We've since had some electrical work done (by a different electrician as the first was too busy), and when installing an outside light, a boxed-in hollow section of thin wood (like a cupboard but not openable) had to be taken down from an area next to the front door, to get the cables through.
Upon taking it down, the electrician told us that there was this thing behind it where the electricity comes into the property, that should not be covered so permanently, as we/the electricity company/someone else may need access to it in the future. Is this called an "incomer" or a "cut-out"?

After taking down the rest of the covering, I was attempting to find some sort of removable box/covering to go over it, when I wondered how old it is. A look on these forums and at a few things on google images now has me concerned it might be very old and possibly need replacing.
This wouldn't/couldn't have been tested in our survey or electrical test, as it was inaccessible due to the permanent cover surrounding it.
I've taken some photos of it. "Henley ISCO series 3", I think it says on it.

Pic 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cutjxg1xglnahr7/incomer1.jpg?dl=0
Pic 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w69oegyhfgin09/incomer2.jpg?dl=0
Closeup1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqfe7oj2bhy1d8g/incomer3.jpg?dl=0
Closeup2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ehxooacgub7dlk/incomer4.jpg?dl=0

Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

that cut-out belongs to your local DNO. it might have a fuse in the neutral, which is bad. be worth a phone call to get them to inspect it. where's the meter in relation?

up to and including the meter is DNO responsibility. if you tell them you have old cotton covered tails from cut-out to meter, and suspect a fused neutral in the head, they should come out FOC.

Your DNO is in fact Western Power Distributions (WPD). Re new consumer -unit, any associated certificated paper work come with it?

Last edited:
Whoever installed the new consumer unit should have issued a completion certificate, as stated above. It would be very helpful to aquire and offer useful information. It should have been provided after the work and certainly before you moved in.

A few questions required as to how the supply was isolated prior to the install (disconnection at meter and then sealed?), earthing details, etc, would be helpful.
Get in touch with DNO, as stated, regarding the cut out.

The neutral of that cutout is not fused, it is marked as a neutral block, so the head and cutout may be OK for continued use at the DNO's option. The cables from there to the meter (DNO's property) are old and probably past their best and the DNO will probably replace them. The earthing conductor is however your responsibility and that looks suspect; it is of small gauge and not properly anchored. It might not be immediately dangerous but could do with attention.

Reply to Electrical incomer too old? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net