Discuss Electrician moving from Ireland in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. Looking for abit of advice. I'm Irish and qualified with 2 years. And have a few different courses under my belt. My girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to london as she was offerd a job. I have experience in domestic and industrial. Basically I just want to know what I need to do in order to get a start in london will my current electrical qualifications be enough? Should I bring over my van and should I work paye or self employed? And information is greatly appreciated thanks for reading.

You might need some UK-specific evidence of qualifications to join the likes of NICEIC to allow you to self-certify work, etc. However as the ROI regs seem to be similar to the UK you ought not to have any real problems with learning the differences and passing that sort of aspect.

As for how you work, you would have to see if you can get a job without trouble, thus saving yourself the whole financial admin side of things, or decide to go it alone and be your own boss. In that case you can be self-employed or you can form a limited company to work under. There are pros and cons to both and really you would need to check with an accountant for advice based on how much work you expect to do, etc.

As above, some of the members familiar with ROI & UK working like @Risteard as the best ones to get advice from.

Depending what you're looking at doing getting a JIB card might be worthwhile. NARIC will be able to assess your qualifications against an equivalent UK qualification. The Regulations are slightly different to the National Wiring Rules in some ways, but of course there are very many similarities as there is alot of harmonisation both from CENELEC and the IEC. You'll get used to the differenes before long.

Depends if you want to work for someone or go self employed if possible. There is plenty of small domestic work that can pay well in London. Just factor in the living costs .As this is why we are leaving London very soon !

The cost of housing even on the broader outskirts of London is extremely high, unless housing is included as part of your girlfriends job offer

Reply to Electrician moving from Ireland in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net