Discuss Emergency Lighting for HMO PROPERTY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sham

-
Reaction score
I'm carrying out an inspection report certificate for emergency lighting for an HMO house. I have noticed that there are no emergency lights in the back dining area and kitchen. The electricians who fitted then, did so in 2013 only in the stair wells and front corridor leading to main door. I have suggested to the landlord that there should be emergency lighting in the back of the building also leading to the front. Am I right to suggest this as I feel I cannot issue an certificate for him. I admit I need more Education and knowledge on this type of works.

are there any E/ lighting at the back and front of the building escape routes ,.if none then their should be .
Just lighting from stairs to front. There is a big distance from the back to the front with no emergency lights. I want to fit them as I feel under law I can't pass it.

If you are providing a periodic inspection of the emergency lighting then you would need to define the deviations from the current standard on the report. This is not a case of pass or fail, it is a report on the installation at the moment. You cannot really refuse to issue the report because the installation does not meet the standards, that is the purpose of the report, to identify these issues.
If you have concerns then these can be raised in the report and then the landlord can decide on the action they wish to take.
If you are stating that the system does not comply with the current standards then you would have to classify the deviations in reference to the standards.
For a house as an HMO I would usually expect that the lighting you describe would be adequate, however if it is a very large building and the route from front to back is part of the escape route and has no borrowed light and there are changes in level and direction as well then additional lighting would be required.
It would be best to review the risk assessment for the property to ascertain why the system has been designed as it has, since this may clarify the reasoning behind the arrangement.

If you are providing a periodic inspection of the emergency lighting then you would need to define the deviations from the current standard on the report. This is not a case of pass or fail, it is a report on the installation at the moment. You cannot really refuse to issue the report because the installation does not meet the standards, that is the purpose of the report, to identify these issues.
If you have concerns then these can be raised in the report and then the landlord can decide on the action they wish to take.
If you are stating that the system does not comply with the current standards then you would have to classify the deviations in reference to the standards.
For a house as an HMO I would usually expect that the lighting you describe would be adequate, however if it is a very large building and the route from front to back is part of the escape route and has no borrowed light and there are changes in level and direction as well then additional lighting would be required.
It would be best to review the risk assessment for the property to ascertain why the system has been designed as it has, since this may clarify the reasoning behind the arrangement.
Most business people don't want to see deviations or a failed cert. They want to get there licence or insurance. He agreed to fit additional emergency lights as all his other properties are all fitted with the emergency lights where needed. My question is am I right, because this installation was done in 2015. On that date they should of fitted them.

Not much has changed since 2015 and you ideally need copies of the relevant BS5266 parts to do this type of work. Key areas where they should be installed are stairwells, escape corridors, intersections, outside final exits, near fire fighting equipment and if required to illuminate directional signage which in itself should be adequate and comply to current requirements. Are maintained fittings illuminated at material times and do non maintained fittings operate upon failure of the local general lighting. Is there a log book available which lists previous routine tests and any maintenance.

Not much has changed since 2015 and you ideally need copies of the relevant BS5266 parts to do this type of work. Key areas where they should be installed are stairwells, escape corridors, intersections, outside final exits, near fire fighting equipment and if required to illuminate directional signage which in itself should be adequate and comply to current requirements. Are maintained fittings illuminated at material times and do non maintained fittings operate upon failure of the local general lighting. Is there a log book available which lists previous routine tests and any maintenance.
Thanks for your response, but am I right to fail it. As the distance to the back kitchen and dining area have no emergency lighting.

In my relatively limited dealings with HMO's, the requirements have been set by the authority issueing the hmo license, and they tend to borrow from various parts of regulation and legislation to create tbeir own entirely unique set of requirements, to meet the needs of the housing stock and tenants that they deal with...some require grade A fire alarm panels, others happy with say Grade D LD2 for example. So it may be worth a phone call to local hmo licensing authority to establish exactly what their particular requirements are to enable the property to retain its licence.

Reply to Emergency Lighting for HMO PROPERTY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net