Discuss Emergency lighting test switch key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

The fishtail key for the emergency lighting test switches has gone missing from my workplace. This prompted a discussion about whether it is safe to use any thin metal object to activate the switches.

Anyway, is it safe to use pretty much any thin object that will fit in there or is there a risk of shock/electrocution?

The key fits into a shaped hole inside the switch, its purpose is to stop the general public or anyone from being able to switch it on and off at will. So there should be no risk of electric shock, but as they say "always use the correct tool for the job".

Five replacement keys, £2.15, free delivery.
5 x Replacment Test Key For Emergency light / Grid switches Free P+P (fish Key) | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Replacment-Test-Key-For-Emergency-light-Grid-switches-Free-P-P-fish-Key/281812041177?hash=item419d4e7dd9:g:xm0AAOSwFhFZzMqK

In addition to the obvious safety merits of not poking around blind in a 230v box with metal objects not intended for purpose, you also run the risk of damaging the switch thus compromising the emergency lighting installation, invalidating any related insurance claim, etc. I wouldn't fancy being the one standing before a judge, explaining the reason why the emergency lighting didn't work, after someone didn't make it out. Think of the bigger picture.

Reply to Emergency lighting test switch key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all Got a question regarding HMO compliance. Visited property today for landlord looking to apply for an HMO license for one of their...
Replies
Views
Hi I know I have to do more testing but I just want to see if there is something I’m missing. Customer said light fitting in the loft was...
Replies
Views
If one of your coworkers suffers a severe electric shock, your first instinct will most likely be to rush to their rescue. But first, pause and...
Replies
Views
I'm moving a socket installed on a lighting circuit (installed by previous owner who was a professional electrician so I assume he knew what he...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m a bit new to this and I understand how to wire thru a grid key switch for emergency lighting but could someone please explain or show a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock