Discuss EPC - Goalposts moved again... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been told by our DEA today that their governing body is insisting that do a second site visit to confirm that panels have been installed. Photos, MCS certificates etc are NOT acceptable. This has effectively doubled the cost of an EPC to us as many of our jobs are marginal and we need an indication before we commit to the install.

Phoned another DEA and got the same response. They had a warning this week apparently that will be struck off if they do not do a second site visit.

Anyone else heard this?

Why not just find one that will do it without a second visit, who will know if they have been there twice, or maybe driven past to see some panels on the roof.
Also I understand that the "rules" vary depending on who they are registered with.

it's a complete pile of p00 is what it is, and probably illegal IMO.

the EPC assessor is allowed to accept stuff like the paperwork from an insulation firm as evidence that cavity wall or internal insulation has been carried out, so there should be no reason at all why they shouldn't also be allowed to accept an MCS certificate and photo from an accredited solar PV company as evidence that the solar PV system has been installed.

IMO this is all just another method of them trying to stop companies sending the paperwork in prior to an install being completed as the FIT deadline approaches.

Why not just find one that will do it without a second visit, who will know if they have been there twice, or maybe driven past to see some panels on the roof.
Also I understand that the "rules" vary depending on who they are registered with.

I think they require date-stamped photos as evidence that everything has been observed on the same visit.

you dont have to be DEA to work out if its going to pass or not and if it doesnt get a D you start looking at draught excluders and loft insulation, and a thermal insulation round the hot water tank if its not got one.

you dont have to be DEA to work out if its going to pass or not and if it doesnt get a D you start looking at draught excluders and loft insulation, and a thermal insulation round the hot water tank if its not got one.

Still have to have them out after that...

This looks to be another attempt to reign in the rogue solar companies, problem is they will still get round it and legitimate companies have to charge more to their customers or take another hit.

This is a strong case for us to get qualified as a dea ourselves if it wasn't such a pain in the rectum. Anyone considering the assesor course?

With the low install numbers now my decision to not blow £1,500 or more on training was a wise one in my opinion, it takes a lot of £45's to justify the cost, and its actually less than that as your time is freed up, there are so many DEA's scratching around for work with such low prices that even two visits is not an unreasonable cost.

no, you can submit the original EPC without the panels included if you want.

Thanks Gav I read a similar thread last week and I thought thats what it said but thanks for clearing that up.

Suppose before long you will need a camera to look inside walls a photos of the energy saving light bulbs and the loft insulation.

O what a load of

Of course the dclg recommend you submit another to accurately reflect the current state of the house... Do the dea's pay per submission?
yeah well, I recommend they take a very long walk off a very short pier unless they're covering the costs of their extra pointless bits of paper.

This is correct you will require a second visit to confirm the panels are there , Id say emailing the MCS cert and a picture is enough evidence but NO second visit required do not even have to enter house.

Well I am glad I do my own EPC'S ....... apart from in Scotland

Reply to EPC - Goalposts moved again... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net