Discuss Equipotential bonding terminated at cut out in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

billy110

When carrying out PIR's i occasionally come accross the Main gas bond terminated directly into the DNO's cut out. Whilst i realise the gas is earthed it doesn't strictly comply with the regs as it should terminate into the MET. I Code 4 it. I only ask as a friend of mine disagrees and refuses to accept that it doesn't comply. What do you think, do i owe him a pint!!?

Just a couple of regs to throw at him as you are correct.

Every installation must be provided with a main earthing terminal. 542.4.1

All extraneous conductive parts in an installation must be connected to the main earthing terminal by main protective bonding conductors. This applies to the metallic sheath of a telecommunications cable where permission from the owner of the cable must be obtained. 411.3.1.2

The DNO earth terminal can be used as the MET although its not done so much nowadays as its quite difficult to get 2 x 10mm and a 16mm in there :D

I think its a little harsh coding it,noting the termination point perhaps
Consumer units have gas and water bonds taken into them,yet are they considered to be an met ?

Its permitted to take them into the consumer,but the consumer unit is probably only a permissable substitute for an met and we dont code the gas bond when its in there

If I ever have to install main bonds and its a choice between a rats nest ( old wylex boards with no room )

or the DNO ' earth block Guess which I would go for

IMHO i would say either the DNO terminal or the consumer unit is ok. both have a mechanical connection and can be clearly marked. i wouldnt even code it. its a point of interpritation only. each get a round in and call it quits.

Reply to Equipotential bonding terminated at cut out in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net