Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Ethernet point no internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Hi all,

On a recent job (electrical) the customer asked if I could add them a point to hard wire his computer to his internet. I put him an ethernet socket at each end, ran a piece of cat 5 in between and terminated with punch tool as per a bt socket. Customer reported not being able to get connected to the internet, they've got a lead out of the router into one socket and a lead into their computer at the other. I went back with a network cable tester so I could check my connections. Plugged into both ends with a long lead in between and it flashed through in sequence all fine.

So from my point of view all looked fine but still no internet. I gave him a long lead which we trailed upstairs and he could get internet fine. The run between sockets is only 10m max. Wondering if anyone could spot anything obvious or had any ideas on what is wrong.

Many thanks

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

When you tested your new outlet did you watch the lights on both ends of the lead?

The tester I have can show ok one end, but the other end could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Loki

Loki Trainee Access

They haven't plugged in a second adsl filter in series have they? Ive had that before & it stopped internet access

Also when the computer is connected does it get an ip address

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

Faulty patch leads?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

Your " as per a BT Socket" might be the issue. You punch all 8 cables according to the colours on the back of the Rj45 socket using Plan B, if they are duel purpose.
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Thanks plugs I just meant the actual physical process of punching. I followed the colour scheme and did the same at both ends

7. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Hopefully the pic illustrates

IMG_20190225_171745501.jpg

8. Barnaby Stedman

Barnaby Stedman Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    ABElectrical
    are you running the cable out of a LAN port of the router I presume. When you tested straight out of the router did you use the same LAN port?

• Like Like x 1
  9. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

The orange and white/green look to be in the wrong place.
    You've terminated the cat 5 cable incorrectly, you've removed too much of the cable jacket and allowed the core to become untwisted and seperated. The cable jacket should stop as close to the module as possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

I was going to mention the cables being untwisted...
    At least you have lost of slack left. Try terminating the sockets again. Twist the pairs back together as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

I got a 20m lead with a plug on each end so I could watch them both together, they all flashed through in sequence

12. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

I left him to do that but when I gave him my long lead to try he plugged it in the same port of the router and it worked

13. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

I did do both ends the same wasn't sure what the correct way was as the colours go half and half on two if them. Didn't know you were supposed to not strip too much back or not untwist did by points like that on site for years thought it was neater/easier :(

14. Barnaby Stedman

Barnaby Stedman Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    ABElectrical
    ok so it is most likely to be the connections at the sockets. have you seen the issue on his computer - what is the status of the connection on the customers computer?

15. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

No I haven't seen it but the jist I got was it was connected but he couldn't get any internet through it if that makes sense