Discuss EV charger installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the old days of the OLEV grant we used to have to send proof of manufacturers' approval for each different make & model of chargepoint we could fit under the grant. Of course each manufacturer insisted on doing their training first...

I hope you don't mind me jumping on the end of this thread with a query as I see it's occupied by the correctly qualified folks. I've just had a quote to run a supply to a charge point (7kw) about 20m to the end of the garden.

Unfortunately the easiest route from the CU is through the home via the the loft and out the back. I'd obviously expect armoured cable to be used in the garden but is it a requirement in the loft as I've been told? TIA

Depending on length of run, it’s probably cheaper running one continuous armoured cable than having a joint from armoured to non armoured half way… and that would be introducing a possible fault point at a joint box.

However, if you choose a cable with the additional comms cat5 built into it, the cost per metre increases.

Can you give us the figure and we could judge whether it seems realistic or not.

The run is about 12m internal and 15m external. I'm not particularly querying the price atm as it's my first quote just wondering if it was strictly necessary due to regs but then it isn't drawing anymore than a low powered electric shower. No CAT5.

Quote was just under £1800, suburbia Uxbridge nr Heathrow.

I know London-ish prices are much higher than the rest of the country... so i dont think its too bad...

Regulation wise, then no... you wouldnt need armoured within the house as it doesnt need mechanical protection as it does outside. You also cant run standard household flat grey twin and earth outside as the UV from the sun can damage the insulation.

Try running your "low powered electric shower" for several hours a day, non stop.... thats more like an electric charge point.

I know London-ish prices are much higher than the rest of the country... so i dont think its too bad...

Regulation wise, then no... you wouldnt need armoured within the house as it doesnt need mechanical protection as it does outside. You also cant run standard household flat grey twin and earth outside as the UV from the sun can damage the insulation.

Try running your "low powered electric shower" for several hours a day, non stop.... thats more like an electric charge point.
The Mrs likes very long showers but I take your point . :) Tnks

The run is about 12m internal and 15m external. I'm not particularly querying the price atm as it's my first quote just wondering if it was strictly necessary due to regs but then it isn't drawing anymore than a low powered electric shower. No CAT5.

Quote was just under £1800, suburbia Uxbridge nr Heathrow.
Sounds very cheap for that to me. Certainly I would charge more for that.

I would have expected data cable at least for load curtailment purposes however.

Me again, getting varying answers as to how deep the armoured cable needs to go (along side a concrete path and lawn). Octopus have said 600mm, online search says 400mm and an eng came round and said what I've dug so far is ok - 100mm. Anybody have a definitive answer? TIA

Deep enough as to not be damaged through normal traffic.

So, not very deep if no traffic….. a bit further down if lawn that gets walked over…. Deeper still if light vehicular traffic….

Down deeper if under a ploughed field.

Although 100mm doesn’t sound deep enough in your case if area likely to be dug up for flowerbeds or weeding.

Remember it would need to be bedded in sand… even armoured cable can be pierced by sharp stones/ gravel whatever.

Me again, getting varying answers as to how deep the armoured cable needs to go (along side a concrete path and lawn). Octopus have said 600mm, online search says 400mm and an eng came round and said what I've dug so far is ok - 100mm. Anybody have a definitive answer? TIA
If they want it at a minimum of 600mm depth then that is what you need to do. Anyone else's opinions aren't relevant.

Reply to EV charger installation in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net