Discuss Ev point on a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning chaps
I’m starting two new builds next week and they’ve added a vehicle Charging point to each house,
Do I feed this via a 6mm t&e from the main cu or have a separate cu for it on an A type RCD?
I’ve not done my Ev course yet as it’s been cancelled 3 times due to corona and plus there isn’t a lot of call for it where I am at present, I think someone else who is olEv registered will be second fixing due to the builder getting a grant which I can’t offer.
I just want to know how best to tackle first fix.
thanks chaps

I would probably put in a swa cable (6mm 7kW?) on a mcb then the EV installer can put in the correct RCD protection in on their equipment.

I would probably put in a swa cable (6mm 7kW?) on a mcb then the EV installer can put in the correct RCD protection in on their equipment.
Hi thank you, I’m installing an rcbo board so would I run the armoured from the main Cu not a separate one on a 40amp mcb rather than an rcbo?

Some Ev points have fitted RCDs so only a MCB required if in SWA
Some require a separate Type A RCD fitted and MCB so a RCBO at DB is way forward
If in twin and earth then RCD protection will be required if buried in walls etc

You need to know the make and model of the EV unit, also requirements for earth electrode etc.

I would first check to see what charger is bring fitted. Then decide if you are fitting an mcb or rcbo... Some such as the Zappi or Andersen A2 only need an MCB the Zappi has built in type a the A2 has built in type B.
All depends on cable route of course.
Also consider the earthing. Some cheaper chargers need a rod or o-pen device. Higher spec such as those i mentioned do not and can use PME

Reply to Ev point on a new build in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net