Discuss Excessive??? Compact fluorescents failing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This lamp type does not like high switching cycles. Increasing the timer period on the pirs might reduce lamp failure rates.

After talking with Tridonic and Phillips the upshot is they don’t have a problem.

The ballast and lamp are well matched.

PIRs are not cycling too quickly.

The observed failure rate fits within the curve for the Philips master lamp.

The lamp is rated for 16,000 hours but 20% of lamps will go in half that.

Need to do some fairly complex maths when I can be arsed but my gut tells me it’s there or there abouts.

In the process of writing a report that says the above in many more and more fancier words with some graphs and pictures.

Got to justify the charge ;-)

Sounds like the switching could be burning the cathodes out, look at fitting PIRs that dim the lights to a low level rather than switching them off completly.

Sounds like the switching could be burning the cathodes out, look at fitting PIRs that dim the lights to a low level rather than switching them off completly.
Thought of it but the ballasts are non dimable.

The cost of replacing ballasts, then PIRs is not far off new LED panels.

Thought of it but the ballasts are non dimable.

The cost of replacing ballasts, then PIRs is not far off new LED panels.
The leds are going to be a difficult sell on energy saving grounds alone, because the tl5cs are fairly efficient at 3300 lumens/40W but that said none of them apart from the new ones will be producing anything like that. Leds would however maintain their output for longer and be instant on compared to the relatively slow warm-up times of the cfls.

The leds are going to be a difficult sell on energy saving grounds alone, because the tl5cs are fairly efficient at 3300 lumens/40W but that said none of them apart from the new ones will be producing anything like that. Leds would however maintain their output for longer and be instant on compared to the relatively slow warm-up times of the cfls.

correct and most cfl are not designed to work below a certain ambient temperature.

ha ha! had one customer put cfl lamps in his outside lights and called me when the weather got cold thinking something was wrong with the electric (he didn't read the label on the lamp)
anyhow replaced them with led lamps and alls good.

Reply to Excessive??? Compact fluorescents failing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock