Discuss Excessive??? Compact fluorescents failing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the flourescents are being operated frequently [via the PIR's rather than manually on for long periods of time] then that will certainly reduce lamp life. I've also found though over the years that an awful lot of HF control gear is rubbish compared to the old school magnetic ballasts and operational life can be very short.

How long are the lights on for with the PIR? A very short on off time can significantly shorten the life of a fluorescent lamp. I have been told 15 minutes minimum. I have also had one site where Osram 28W 2D lamps were only lasting 6 months in 35 fittings, having the first ballast go, I changed to Tridonic and that lamp has lasted one and a half years. it was a cheep set of fluorescent fittings.

If the flourescents are being operated frequently [via the PIR's rather than manually on for long periods of time] then that will certainly reduce lamp life. I've also found though over the years that an awful lot of HF control gear is rubbish compared to the old school magnetic ballasts and operational life can be very short.
This makes sense to me, would you expect a HF ballast to fail slowly causing lamp failure or just go?

How long are the lights on for with the PIR? A very short on off time can significantly shorten the life of a fluorescent lamp. I have been told 15 minutes minimum. I have also had one site where Osram 28W 2D lamps were only lasting 6 months in 35 fittings, having the first ballast go, I changed to Tridonic and that lamp has lasted one and a half years. it was a cheep set of fluorescent fittings.
Will be investigating PIR timing tomorrow and if necessary setting them to 30 mins.

Number two on my list.... now

A little controversial maybe but what are people’s thoughts on buying components and converting the existing fittings to LED?

Would any CE raiting would be voided?

that Im not sure of But I imagine retrofit kits are usually approved providing the are installed correctly. But in most cases its probably cheaper to replace the entire fitting.

A hefty amount of posts removed, the OP is asking a question and some member are not interesting in helping out and posting to satisfy there boredom I suspect, let's try keep the thread on track as I suspect the OP is looking for help not a barrage of pointless responses, videos or pics that only drag the thread of course.
If you want to respond further then stay on topic please.

I dunno darkward, laughter eases the savage breast. Its just how far one takes it.

I just wonder if the circuit the HF gear is on is mixed with old starter in another area. The two types do not get on well. Apparently transient voltages are not liked by HF. Is there any other gear around the (office/unit/warehouse???) that may cause a similar effect?

I dunno darkward, laughter eases the savage breast. Its just how far one takes it.
Yes it may but we have forum sections and open threads for such banter, my gripe is derailing someone else's thread and staff having to remove 12 posts that have nothing to do with what the OP posted and especially when he still online at the time replying and trying to answer questions put to him.

I just wonder if the circuit the HF gear is on is mixed with old starter in another area. The two types do not get on well. Apparently transient voltages are not liked by HF. Is there any other gear around the (office/unit/warehouse???) that may cause a similar effect?
No Vort, the whole place was refitted five years ago.

A mix of these TL5Cs and, T5s and some rare as hens teeth Phillips PL-R compact fluorescents. But importantly all HF.

It’s really only the TL5Cs that are failing.

Yes it may but we have forum sections and open threads for such banter, my gripe is derailing someone else's thread and staff having to remove 12 posts that have nothing to do with what the OP posted and especially when he still online at the time replying and trying to answer questions put to him.
Can someone delete these distracting posts that are explaining why distracting posts are distracting. ;-)

Ha, no not that stupid. They’re the 40W flavour TL5Cs.

Well I say that but the ones I’ve been replacing with are 40W, went of the label rather than the old lamp. Can’t say I checked what the duds were. Now they’re in a coffin at the wholesalers.

Number three on my to do list, check all existing lamps are correct.

Keep these coming I might stretch this out till Friday. :-0
Ok might sound silly or too easy but the TL5C is rated for 22-42w they aren't putting in the 17w lamps maybe, no couldn't be.

Thing is, in real life we have a laugh & a joke, whilst working, discussing serious issues, even when we are feeling low. We don't just wait for the proper moment, or limit it to special occasions . Its all part of life's rich tapestry.

Even the OP's enjoys the banter. Hope I'm still here tomorrow, in the literal sense. :D

upload_2018-8-30_8-46-3.jpeg

soz. thought you said bantam.

Well, not a very productive day.

All voltages 235-240 and stable as far as I can tell without long term monitoring. Checked every Click distribution box and at one fitting per box, with the lights on.

Did not see a PIR switch whilst there and apparently someone else had set them all to 30 mins which looks ok.

All lamps correct, of the random twenty I checked .

Did find three old fluorescents in the ceiling void that were on. These have been unplugged from the Click boxes.

This does not appear to be a deterioration issue as the maintenance records show a pretty steady rate of failure from installation.

The ballasts are Tridonic so not crap only question left is whether they are compatible with the TL5CS, which I have to call the manufacturer tomorrow.

Hopefully there’s a picture attached showing the ballast.

7B42B45E-DD05-4E0D-A8C0-F042FE266AD3.jpeg

Reply to Excessive??? Compact fluorescents failing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock