Discuss extending ring and adding smoke alarms to lighting circuit on new extension cert? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi

i'm going to be having some wiring carried out on my new first floor extension (new bedroom) which just entails extending the ring main, and lighting circuit and adding interlinked mains smoke alarms to the upstairs lighting circuit, including a heat alarm in the kitchen.

i've spoke to someone who says that building control will be ok with a minor works certificate for this to sign off the extension but have read elsewhere that an electrical installation certificate would be needed. can anyone advise which is correct?

thanks in advance

A minor works certificate IS an Installation Certificate. It is meant for additions to or alterations of an existing circuit.

None of the works you describe is notifiable to the local authority. So you (or whoever is doing the electrical works) can just get it done, test it and complete a Minor Works Cert. Like any other day. That's it.

Depending on the version of MWC used you may need two, one for each circuit worked on. But there is also a version with up to three circuits on it.

Reply to extending ring and adding smoke alarms to lighting circuit on new extension cert? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've asked a similar question before I think and we came to the conclusion that apart from new houses and HMO's etc there aren't any rules about...
Replies
Views
Essentially I have a "normal" socket in a ring mains, i.e. one 2.5mm T&E going in and one 2.5mm T&E going out. I am looking to simply add two more...
Replies
Views
Good morning, I'm in the process of a partial refurbishment which will involve the present kitchen being changed into a bedroom instead and the...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
I know this has been brought up before but as a QS for a housing association ,i have been asked my opinion on interpretation of the regulations...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock