Discuss Extension exposed floor joists and safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

midgetman

u5yqe2y3.jpg

Hi extension kitchen with exposed beams. Walls to be dot and dabbed. Requested not to drill joists. in theory the bottom of exposed joists would be where plasterboard goes. So the 150 mm safe zone can be taken from the bottom of the joists? If so the cables can be run in oval against wall just below joists and drop down to sockets? I think so? Maybe im wrong lol. :eek:

Just don't forget to tell kitchen fitters.
As there may be a fixing bracket for the extractor fan hood which is normal fixed where your safe zone is. If its a wall mounted unit.

if they are left on show, then you've lost your 150mm safe zone.

They are to be on show. They are oak joists. In theory plasterboard would have been attached to them but in this case it will be recessed. This is why I said would safe zone be from bottom of joist?

So safe zone has to to be measured from recess of plasterboard?

Ffs lol

safe zone is measured from ceiling. tell 'em you'll use mini trunking.:6:

looks like you'll have to drop cables in the safe zones in the corners, then horizontal to the accessories.

safe zone is measured from ceiling
agree - the joists are part of the ceiling - there called ceiling joists ?!?! Or are these exposed beams?
As you said probably run down corners and then across ... cheers

This is where you have to have a sensible discussion with the architect and client, with a bit of practice you will learn to steer them in the direction of making a sensible alteration to the plan.

I have been faced with near enough the same problem with exposed beams in the past, I have used two different solutions to it in different cases.

1 - have the infills between the joist battened down to create a small void above and notch the joists. steel plates can then be fitted over the notches to protect the cables.

2 - have a boxing made of the same wood and height as the main beam which fits against the wall covering the ends of the joists and looks like another beam sitting on top of the wall and holding the ends of the joists. This 'false beam' will look like part of the structure and give you a nice void to hide your cables in.
To encourge architects and clients the phrase 'this would add to the aesthetic' can be quite useful!

agree - the joists are part of the ceiling - there called ceiling joists ?!?! Or are these exposed beams?
As you said probably run down corners and then across ... cheers

Actually they are called 'floor joists' as they are designed to support the floor above, the ceiling being fixed to the underside of them is incidental. If there is no floor above (ie. in a loft) the much smaller timbers which are purely there to hold up the ceiling are called 'ceiling collars'

Safe zones! On job we are on this week, new heating system in primary school, joiner managed to catch 3 steel conduit drops while drilling out for a duct! RCD tripped on middle one, incidentally the one which fed the socket directly below, where he had plugged his hammer drill into!

nice to now, architect are still dicks, we are on a job where the client pay a lighting designer, and all his measurement are wrong and his spec has loads of copy and paste on it,how many master bedsroom can one house have,,, my boss would had done it for free lol

The safe zone is defined as "within 150mm of the top of the wall or partition" so I guess it's whereever you think the top of the wall is. I'd go for the bottom of the floor joists as this would normally be considered the top of the wall if a ceiling were fitted, and you've got to run the cables somewhere. That's just what I think though, I could be wrong.

The safe zone is defined as "within 150mm of the top of the wall or partition" so I guess it's whereever you think the top of the wall is. I'd go for the bottom of the floor joists as this would normally be considered the top of the wall if a ceiling were fitted, and you've got to run the cables somewhere. That's just what I think though, I could be wrong.

yeah that's where i was coming from

Reply to Extension exposed floor joists and safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net